The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Metal grinding noise on take off.. clutch pedal sticking

ballsdeep

Iv been suffering from an awful grinding noise when I pull away/reverse. it doesn't happen all the time or in any other gear?

I suspected it could be a seized caliper? so I took the weight off the wheels and spun each one and the front drivers side was sticking so I refurb'd all four calipers hoping that was the problem, but As I pulled away it was worst than ever, probably because it had been sat for awhile! There's a slight feel of it dragging when it happens??

I though it was coming from the front passenger wheel but each time I hear it I change my mind??

Can't get it in the garage to have a look untill after the new year so any tests I can do to eliminate things might help for now.

Cheers

EDIT: convinced its the clutch now, similar sound To a seized caliper? But the clutch doesn't slip and has done less than 800 miles!

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

So managed to get it in the garage today and he thinks it's the clutch? I went in to bleed the brakes up properly so only spent 5mins checking the noise out but it's not a wheel bearing noise!

It was my first clutch install so I'm hoping its something silly that I should have done?

Here's things I now know I should have done..

1/ Use the correct grease not multi purpose bearing grease

2/ grease the clutch fork which I didn't

3/ replace the spigot bearing (in my defense the one in looked ok)

4/ on the fidanza flywheel the contact surface is replaceable and should have been changed!

Looks like the gearbox is coming off again :spank:

So managed to get it in the garage today and he thinks it's the clutch? I went in to bleed the brakes up properly so only spent 5mins checking the noise out but it's not a wheel bearing noise!

It was my first clutch install so I'm hoping its something silly that I should have done?

Here's things I now know I should have done..

1/ Use the correct grease not multi purpose bearing grease

2/ grease the clutch fork which I didn't

3/ replace the spigot bearing (in my defense the one in looked ok)

4/ on the fidanza flywheel the contact surface is replaceable and should have been changed!

Looks like the gearbox is coming off again :spank:

I feel your pain, mine has got to come off again too but I think I'm going to wait until it's back on the road and use the two post ramp at work.. touch wood.

I learnt my lesson the first time, did mine on axel stands and ended up pinned with the gearbox on my leg. Gets very heavy if it doesn't go right the first time!!

You must be stalking the post man by now isn't your whifbitz kit on its way? I'm Saving up for his manifold!

Me and Josh swapped his gearbox on axle stands a few months back and was just a PITA lying on the floor. It's too cold for that this time of year really. The 2 post ramp will be luxurious in comparison :D

Yeah Paul originally hoped he may be able to get it out to me for Christmas but I messaged him recently and it will be mid January for the bulk of the kit and end of January for the SMIC and pipework. Bit of a sack ache but there's no rush as it's off the road until March anyway. Means I can do a load of other tinkering like new front lip, underseal, calipers etc.

Is the stage 3 a puck clutch by any chance?

Just looked at there website to see if it was. I would say it is the clutch itself the puck clutch is a nightmare on normal day to day driving. I have or did have a competition puck clutch and that made the same kind of noise as you describe, in reverse was the worse it would judder like mad and sound like it was chewing the flywheel to pieces. Once the car was moving it was fine, was best when really giving it the beans then it worked great. It's more of a track/drag sort of clutch not a road clutch.

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Little update.. So as well as my clutch grinding/screeching on take off my clutch pedal started to get sticky yesterday and then today it didn't come back up. :(

Im guessing its a master or the slave cylinder issue since the fluid hasn't dropped!

What I'm wondering is if the slave cylinder fails could it cause the release bearing to make the grinding noise I'm hearing?