The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Embarrassing basic question

LOGIE

I should know this for a fact but im unsure. I'm running stock power with cw smic, 3" tanabe touring exhaust with 2.5" 1st decatt and 3" 2nd decatt. I have NO fcd or boost controller or uprated fuel pump yet. Do I need to fit a 1 bar restrictor ring?

Stay classy.

I run a double whifbitz decat with whifbitz 1bar restrictor ring,full whifbitz cat back exhaust,uprated walbro,iridium colder grade plugs,hks fuel cut defencer,greddy profec spec 2 ebc set at low 1.bar high 1.2bar, and stock smic although I have one of mr whiffins new uprated smics here to fit

Mines a 1998 on stock 2jzgte VVTI ceramic turbos

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

If the ecu has not been tampered with will it still only run at 0.8 bar safely?

Running just a restrictor ring may or may not stop overboost I believe it can differ car to car like a lottery which is why I think the boost controller is required to control and monitor the boost

All I really wanted was stock power for the time being as ive just done NA-TT it was easier to buy double decatts that to buy catts so that's what I done. I'm not seeking power here I'm just asking if it's safe to run double decatts with a res ring for good measure?

If the ecu has not been tampered with will it still only run at 0.8 bar safely?

No the ECU doesn't control the boost pressure.

The stock cats are very restrictive, this restriction in the exhaust helps limit the stock boost to around 0.8bar. Remove the cats and the exhaust become a lot freer flowing, the problem on the j-spec is that the wastegate is too small to then control the boost and the turbos will over boost to 1.5+bar. The restrictor ring basically adds a restriction back into the exhaust to reduce the boost pressure to the desired level, the smaller the hole in the restrictor ring the more restrictive it is and the lower the boost will be.

mine has restrictor ring for 1b and no fcd for now.

only one time on motorway, I had a fuel cut !

it is a "strange" thing the 1st time it occurs !

Did you have to give it the welly to hit fuel cut or does it happen easily with just just a 1 bar res ring?

Guest pwings18
Did you have to give it the welly to hit fuel cut or does it happen easily with just just a 1 bar res ring?

it has just happened once.

fresh air and my boost gauge was on 1.1b.

after 3s foot on pedal full boost, bing...

I wanted to see what it did... I saw !!! :D