The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some mechanical help

scott87

I posted a little while back about needing some help with my na-t conversion. I now have everything that i need so am posting up requesting the help and getting an exact day penciled in for doing the work.

Basically i was thinking anyday after the 5th of january and who ever is available to help that would be great. I have spoken to someone who has the necessary tools for the oil pan.

Basically i need help drilling the oil pan and fitting the front mount intercooler. I have some brackets for the bottom just need some for the top if anyone has any. Im then going to tie the oil return up and plug it so i can drive the car back home and complete the rest of the conversion at mine. A member on here offered to use there car park at their pub but if anyone has an enclosed area that may be better with the weather at this time of year etc.

Thanks to anyone that can help, cant wait to be boosting!!!! :D

You need to take the casting off to drill it and tap it, which is an engine out job. Or are you thinking of drilling the steel sump pan pressing?

Im drilling with the engine still in, where the stock oil return location is, using a 90degree drill bit. As a few members have done on here.

I'm near cov now visiting family

But as said, get the engine out mate and do it properly, it will be better

I can lend you a hoist and crane if needed mate

I have a hoist and crane. But there are a couple members that have done it successfully with the engine in. Either using white grease or shaving foam to collect the swarf then flushing the sump thoroughly. Which is what i intend to do.

How long are you in Cov for? Im back and available to do car things from the 6th :D

I have a hoist and crane. But there are a couple members that have done it successfully with the engine in. Either using white grease or shaving foam to collect the swarf then flushing the sump thoroughly. Which is what i intend to do.

How long are you in Cov for? Im back and available to do car things from the 6th :D

Yeah it can be done fitted, it's just a lot harder lol

Only here for the day, but visit often

If it were me.... Engine out and get it done right.

Start as you mean to go on mate, do it once and do it right.

I learned this with my phase 3 calibra turbo engine I put in an Astra gsi, I found myself correcting jobs I'd already done trying to save time the first time around!

:yeahthat:

Mate, I've got a TT sump kit which would probably take the same time and be much easier. Pulling a Supra lump is easy. Much easier than struggling to drill 3 holes perfectly straight and getting the threads dead straight. One off, one on, job jobbed.

I do this stuff for a living. If I had a choice of filling a sump up with swarf or fitting a new part, new part wins every time.

Your call though. Good luck whichever way you go.

Mate, I've got a TT sump kit which would probably take the same time and be much easier. Pulling a Supra lump is easy. Much easier than struggling to drill 3 holes perfectly straight and getting the threads dead straight. One off, one on, job jobbed.

I do this stuff for a living. If I had a choice of filling a sump up with swarf or fitting a new part, new part wins every time.

Your call though. Good luck whichever way you go.

+1

I cannot stress enough about how much sense this man is speaking!

+2 for pulling the engine mate its a lot easier! I tried drilling and tapping in situ and ballsed it up, it was my first attempt at removing an engine, i just took loads of pictures that way I couldn't go wrong when it went back in! Have a read of this thread it helped me out loads!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?136136-NA-to-TT-engine-transplant-step-by-step-guide-(Pic-heavy)

plus you can fit your clutch at the same time!

+2 for pulling the engine mate its a lot easier! I tried drilling and tapping in situ and ballsed it up, it was my first attempt at removing an engine, i just took loads of pictures that way I couldn't go wrong when it went back in! Have a read of this thread it helped me out loads!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?136136-NA-to-TT-engine-transplant-step-by-step-guide-(Pic-heavy)

plus you can fit your clutch at the same time!

Ive dropped plenty of engines so that is not what is putting me off.

I understand there is a small risk to what i am planning to do but many have had success doing it this way. As i said im going to be very careful and take the risk.

My clutch is also not being changed at this point, so i would rather change the clutch when my second engine is built that will eventually replace the one i am going to drill.

I am going to thoroughly flush the sump and run about 10litres of fresh oil from top to bottom of the engine and then fit new filter etc etc. Again this is no guarantee, but i have seen some pretty large chunks in the bottom of sumps before (Not on my car, i should add) when changing oil or gearbox oil and the pan filters/main filter do a darn good job of stopping them go elsewhere. Granted metal anywhere is not a good sign, just saying they were stopped from travelling elsewhere, although i know thats not always the case.