The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Direct port methanol injection

Guest Budz86

So, been thinking about what to do next with the car and one idea I had was to add meth as there seem to be good results so far and it has the added bonus of lowering cylinder temps.

Now instead of the fuel flex sensor I was wondering if it's possible to adapt a direct port nitrous kit or aqua mist kit to add meth when needed/desired. This would also have the advantage that you can keep meth in a separate tank and not have to keep adding to the fuel tank. Effectively means it's there whenever you want it, not just when you add it to a tank of fuel. I'm also thinking that this would save the corrosion on the lines as presumably you can add it directly to the fuel rail.

This has only been a brief idea and tbh I've not sat and thought it through much but wondered what opinions people have?

Hopefully I've not missed something really obvious here that makes this not possible! :D

So, been thinking about what to do next with the car and one idea I had was to add meth as there seem to be good results so far and it has the added bonus of lowering cylinder temps.

Now instead of the fuel flex sensor I was wondering if it's possible to adapt a direct port nitrous kit or aqua mist kit to add meth when needed/desired. This would also have the advantage that you can keep meth in a separate tank and not have to keep adding to the fuel tank. Effectively means it's there whenever you want it, not just when you add it to a tank of fuel. I'm also thinking that this would save the corrosion on the lines as presumably you can add it directly to the fuel rail.

This has only been a brief idea and tbh I've not sat and thought it through much but wondered what opinions people have?

Hopefully I've not missed something really obvious here that makes this not possible! :D

ive been thinking about this sort of set up aswell.

Sounds a good idea but it will still need some kind of fuel pump.

Yep it would need a pump, but probably not a large one as it's not going to need a high flow rate. Didn't think about that really but as nitrous uses the pressure from the bottle it stands to reason.

Surely you'd need the flex sensor to alter the fuel map to account for the methanol? Or maybe you could have the map change with the on/off switch for the methanol, but i'd imagine that would on work at WOT? Its an interesting idea but i dont know enough to help you sorry :)

I was thinking about having an ethanol map and letting the syvecs sort it all out. Don't think I'd need the fuel flex as I'm guessing the ecu would just add methanol progressively when I exceed a certain rpm/throttle input/boost pressure or whatever is best to trigger it. Would also be cool if I could have it on a button too but tbh that's probably not necessary and excessively difficult to set up.

Why not just do it the proper way and add a fuel flex sensor? Surely cheaper than buying a water meth kit, and defiantly a better way to do it.

I was under the impression the meth attacks the stock tank/line's?

I prefer a separate tank and injector personally, with a boost operated switch. That way it can be mapped exactly right as the conditions are always the same.

Not sure how it works if you add it to the tank but surely the % of meth is never the same leading to slight differences in the mapping?

That would be a problem if you used a very concentrated mix but with 20-30% it should be fine

Also the stock line is metal and when adding lines you use Teflon

The syvecs uses the flex sensor to see the % off meth and once mapped at a max % can adjust the fuel accordingly to any % below

This is by far the best and safest way to do it.

I was under the impression the meth attacks the stock tank/line's?

I prefer a separate tank and injector personally, with a boost operated switch. That way it can be mapped exactly right as the conditions are always the same.

Not sure how it works if you add it to the tank but surely the % of meth is never the same leading to slight differences in the mapping?

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

Just get nitrous if you want increased power when you want it :)

This is what I keep coming back too. It could be controlled through the syvecs unit and would cool the piston chamber too. Whether it would be as effective as meth I don't know but it would be on tap as and when you need it instead of having to get out of the car and fill the tank with meth

Here's a good thread from the Aquamist site about Meth, water injection and so on

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1801

The flex option sounds good if you have the Syvecs installed. If you want to water injection your idea a of Direct port is still an option.

The flex sytem wasn't an option for me when | put my direct port sytem in.

When My car ran a Ethenol and petrol mix with direct port water, It ran superbly. really low egt's, no Det and 2 bar on road fuel. It was installed jan 2008 and is still going strong.

It's been adjusted for 100% petrol and that's my default setting for the car in summer.

Edited by Robbie (see edit history)

I run meth, the nozzle is after the intercooler, tank is in the back and the pump is welded to a plate on the inner on the drivers side. Activates a 1 bar,

That's the sort of setup I had in mind. What do you use to control it, ecu or vac switch? I take it you didn't change your stock fuel lines if it feeds into the intake?

Why not just do it the proper way and add a fuel flex sensor? Surely cheaper than buying a water meth kit, and defiantly a better way to do it.

This is probably what I'll end up doing but was wondering what other options are about. As mine is a daily I wouldn't have meths in the tank most of the time, only on special occasions! But there are always those little 'pop to the shops' kinda trips where you come across something fun to play with or come across some nice empty roads....I'd end up getting annoyed if I knew the car had more to give! :innocent:

As Jamie said no point at all, you would get a flex sensor and add the fuel to the tank

You have the syvecs and toucan already so your most of the way there, no point in over complicating it for no reason

I know, complicated means more to go wrong! In terms of setup, am I right in saying I would need lines, FF sensor and a remap? I'm guessing my 650's would be fine still but makes sense to change the walbro to an 044 when it's apart.

Just get nitrous if you want increased power when you want it :)

:D Did think about this but it's expensive and difficult to get hold of, meth seems to be a better option overall.

Here's a good thread from the Aquamist site about Meth, water injection and so on

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1801

The flex option sounds good if you have the Syvecs installed. If you want to water injection your idea a of Direct port is still an option.

The flex sytem wasn't an option for me when | put my direct port sytem in.

When My car ran a Ethenol and petrol mix with direct port water, It ran superbly. really low egt's, no Det and 2 bar on road fuel. It was installed jan 2008 and is still going strong.

It's been adjusted for 100% petrol and that's my default setting for the car in summer.

Thanks mate, will have a read over that later

Lines will be fine, I just avoid leaving any in my tank for long periods, you will need fuel flex sensor and a remap for sure, injectors will be fine unless you start running a high methanol mix.

Thought so, cheers J. Fuel never seems to spend long in my car! Only bung £30 in at a time usually as there is no point carrying the extra weight when ESSO is 2 mins away. Any meth would never be in there for more than a few days.

Btw, how's the Bluetooth module working out for you? Do you actually use it much or is it more of a gadget that is sometimes handy to have?