The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD vs OS Giken Diff

TBDevelopments

I want to upgrade the stock TT torsion diff to something true LSD but I'm torn between the 2 makes. I know the os giken is infinitely better but i find it more competition orientated from what I've read.

This car is purely a road going car. It will never exceed 600bhp as I'm going to be using a gt35 and this is on a 6spd box.

My main concern is I want something with minimal maintenance and also it has to be quiet. The stock torsion you don't even know its there, no knocking or whining. I want an LSD that will provide that.

Anyone with first hand experience? Alot of people recommend the TRD but the 2 way puts me off, yet i know os giken is one of the best out there but i read about people doing oil changes ever couple of track days etc.

Any feedback guys?

Tim

TRD Diff is only 2-way on FR vehicles,

Looking at oil change intervals on

1.5 OsGiken Super lock LSD -- 3000km after installation then it is every 20,000KM(http://www.osgiken.net/upload/d35.pdf)

I would imagine the TRD Diff is a similar interval, as for track days, regardless of Diff best practice is to change your oil after each track day.

Only reservation I have regarding the OsGiken is sourcing the oil (OS250R LSD Oil), I know Paul Whiffin has it in stock but it is not something readily available here in the EU if Paul stops selling it.

I also priced up the two diffs a few months back and there is a noticeable gap in price, TRD coming in cheaper.

Tough decision alright! But it looks like it comes down to price as the deciding factor

We are distributor for OSG.

And we stock the oil, if not in stock than back in stock within 4 days... easy peasy...

TRD Diff is only 2-way on FR vehicles,

Looking at oil change intervals on

1.5 OsGiken Super lock LSD -- 3000km after installation then it is every 20,000KM(http://www.osgiken.net/upload/d35.pdf)

I would imagine the TRD Diff is a similar interval, as for track days, regardless of Diff best practice is to change your oil after each track day.

Only reservation I have regarding the OsGiken is sourcing the oil (OS250R LSD Oil), I know Paul Whiffin has it in stock but it is not something readily available here in the EU if Paul stops selling it.

I also priced up the two diffs a few months back and there is a noticeable gap in price, TRD coming in cheaper.

Tough decision alright! But it looks like it comes down to price as the deciding factor

how do you rate them, the OSG and what kind of prices are you selling the diffs for?

Everyone seems to like the TRD but only thing putting me off is the 2 way, as this is purely a road going car i want something very refined. Basically don't even know its there just gives better grip. I don't want any of the pushing into corners on lift off the 2 way seems to produce.

Tim

oh they do turn in, but i found not as easily as a non 2 way system.

i can only compare on the mr2's I've done this is my first supra.

The wheel hop is something I can't have on this diff, that's why I was asking about brands etc. I would rather settle for something slightly compromised and have it totally undetectable over something tuned on the knife edge for performance. Just something better than the torsion setup.

Tim

I agree with Tim a bit here. Granted I moved from an open diff to a TRD 2-way but I found it giving a fair bit more under steer on the way in to corners, out of corners it was of course a brilliant improvement. It's far more apparent now the wetter/colder conditions have hit, it was noticeable in the dry but not so severe. This is only in an NA so it's hardly putting out any real torque, but that doesn't account for the understeer I get since changing the diff

I am wondering if the diff is not setup correctly rather than the diff type itself. The suspension, geometry and tyre's are perfect (mostly brand new). On the other hand it may just be a lack of driving skill on my part :)

I do not experience any wheel hop (probably due to lack of torque), but it doesn't skip during tight turns and only slips the inside wheel very slightly when pulling out of junctions.

There is no comparison between the TRD plate type diff and the OS Giken plate type diff. The Giken is much more performance orientated, and FAR more sophisticated internally. An added bonus is all spares are available should it wear or give trouble. the Giken has now gained an excellent reputation for itself in high end motorsport, as well as in performance road cars. Fantastic piece of kit!

The TRD is fine, but more for everyday road usage and of course it's considerably cheaper. A Giken LSD in my GTS-t was worth 1.5 seconds a lap round Oulton, a massive difference. Their clever design reduces off throttle corner entry understeer by a significant extent.

I have never experienced any of those issues with the one in the Skyline, although it is rarely driven on the road.

Nor do I recall it on the ones I have fitted to other makes. There are a few people with them on Supras here, anyone had wheel hop or knocking when maneuvering?

Kaaz and Cusco ones are chronic in all the regards you mentioned.

i know the Os giken is a much better diff in everything that it does

Better?

Please forgive me if I'm being naive, but I was of the understanding that no mechanical diff design/layout was "better" than another, they're all a compromise in some way, with differing characteristics and maintenance requirements. Some are better suited to road use than others.

Quality obviously differs between brands, and as is usually the case, you get what you pay for.

Just to throw it in the mix, my 2 way Carbonetics doesn't have noise, knocking, wheel hop; I didn't experience any off throttle corner entry understeer, when she does step out of line she is very controllable.

I have an Aristo diff in her now temporarily but noticeably in the wet , she would happily sit at the traffic lights spinning the inside wheel no matter how soft you take off, few times on the Motorway in the wet or dry the back will step out with some throttle, can easily catch you out and nearly did when I was overtaking a bus on the motorway in the wet, nice drift between the armco and the bus, it was a brown pants moment.

The 2 way carbonetics did not have this issue, just point and shoot , she gripped, if you wanted you could get her to step out, under heavy braking going down the box she will wiggle around abit, you just keep her inline with the feel through your arse and some steering inputs ;) but I like the 2 way diff, you get the to be in full control.

Reminds me of a 911, with the torsen diff she sits and waits plotting to kill me :) They are dangerous, unpredictable compared to 1.5 or 2 way , its bloody annoying coming out of a corner, wasting all that power spinning one wheel, all noise no action

Only problem with the Carbonetics is the the 3000KM oil interval changes, based on this I would go TRD or OsGiken.