The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec brake pin alternative

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, I'm in the process of overhauling my brakes. Only managed to do one caliper so far, due to seized pad pins :(

Total git of a job to get them out, ended up having to drill them - which I've read is a common problem.

Rather than replace them with the oem type, that will likely seize again, I ordered a pack of 10 of these at 120mm long : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=190738124834, along with stainless nyloc nuts to go with them. All for the princely sum of £8 to my door. They should also fit the rear calipers too :D

Being stainless, they shouldn't get stuck, and they fit a treat.

Just thought it might be useful for others when it comes to pad change time

They look dead smart too having the cap head :)

crack indeed... did you hammer the bolts in?

No, I tried to drill the pin out with a small bit at first, then as I was knocking a centre punch in, the tip snapped off in the hole I'd drilled. I tried knocking it through with a bigger punch, and the crack appeared.

I must admit, I was getting the hump with it and being less than gentle. Wish I'd just drilled the whole thing out now, from the start.

Live and learn

Edited by Mk4Gaz (see edit history)