The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT with 5 speed box

Tommyd16

This has probly been covered many times so sorry in advance but the search function on the app isn't the best.

Are the TT's with speed boxes worth the money?

Do they work well with TT engine?

Are they faster than the autos? I take it they are slower than the 6 speeds

Thanks

Tommy

5 speed has lower ratio's, acceleration is more rapid than the 6-speed, but the 5-speed is weaker than the Getrag 6-speed. The Getrag will have more top end. Type of Differential fitted makes a difference to gearing also.

The value of these 5-speed TT's is around the price of a Auto-TT which might need a little tidying.

N/A - Autoboxes are a little lethargic compared with the TT-Autobox, but still a good box.

5 speed has lower ratio's, acceleration is more rapid than the 6-speed, but the 5-speed is weaker than the Getrag 6-speed. The Getrag will have more top end.

The value of these 5-speed TT's is around the price of a Auto-TT which might need a little tidying.

N/A - Autoboxes are a little lethargic compared with the TT-Autobox, but still a good box.

The 5 Speed has basically the same final drive ratio (I.e. 5th and 6th are almost the same ratio). The only difference is the 6 Speed Ratio's are closer together, so the car stays on the boil/the revs don't drop off as much between changes. Something you definitely want with a turbo car especially,

5-Speed 5th Ratio= 0.783 :1 N/A 5 Diff = 4.083:1

6-Speed 6th Ratio =0.793:1. 6Speed TT Diff= 3.266:1 (J-Spec)

(V160)

The difference between the acceleration comes from people TT'ing an N/A 5 Speed with a different( lower) diff ratio, that will make it accelerate faster, at the price of more fuel used to cruise on the motorway.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Cheers. Is the auto box actually that good then? Seen some bad reviews on it saying its lazy and lags

I have a tt auto and I can tell you it isnt lazy or laggy! ( although when converted the turbos TTC -boost at 4k revs then of course its going to make the car feel lazy)

UK roads I prefer the auto tt. Not that I have driven a manual version... but id just be shifting as an auto anyway. People say a more enjoyable drive with a manual.... I say all I have to do is twitch my leg, the car is enjoyable enough just by sitting in it

Track use will have to be a manual

Can't decide whether to get an auto or manual. Had good experiences with both in other cars in the past. Manual celica gt four wrc and auto bmw 525. Will just have to drive both. I just don't want to buy an auto then always be wishing I had the manual

If you can afford the 6speed then go manual if not i would pick the auto over the 5speed simply to future proof the car to a certain extent

Just do what toyota intended. TT:auto or 6 speed. Dont waste your hard earned on a w58 gearbox on a TT as its only a matter of time untill it gives up on you. If you insist on fitting a 5 speed then get the R154, I had both w58 and R154 on my mk3s and the R154 is far superior.

How is the R154 like to drive with? I like the feel of the W58 box and I'm wondering how the R154 compares as it's an upgrade I'm considering for next year.

How is the R154 like to drive with? I like the feel of the W58 box and I'm wondering how the R154 compares as it's an upgrade I'm considering for next year.

Same boat as you, except I have to admit the feel of it has largely nothing to do with wanting the R154. It's more for peace of mind!

Cheers. Is the auto box actually that good then? Seen some bad reviews on it saying its lazy and lags

The auto box is excellent. Problem with autos is the have a lot of stigma attached, the people who slag them off probably have never driven them.

Personally Id have an auto over a 6 speed, the 6 is an agricultural box. Very strong, yes, sweet shifting, certainly not.

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

R154 is nowhere near as smooth to use as a W58 when it comes to slotting it into gear.

I don't mean you are frantically looking for gears, just that it takes a little more effort to send it home into whatever ratio you are after.

People say the 6 speeds are notchy & a tad agricultural, not having driven one I can't comment but I think it's a fairly apt description of the R154.

I guess the inertia of the heavier gear sets just make a gearbox a bit clunkier, a fair trade for a bit of longevity IMO.

Here is a bit of footage from my own R154'd wagon around Mondello, you can see I'm never struggling to find a gear but I did hold out for the proper R154 conversion with the correct gearshift cradle which certainly doesn't hurt.

Very intrested in the auto box now. Can anyone tell me more about it?

How much power can it handle? Kick down? Tiptronic?

Cheers

I always though the boxes were ok at 550hp but it was the torque that was the issue.

VVTi Tiptronic at BPU is seriously quick and that is only at around 380 - 440 but that is mainly due to mid range torque.

H,

Very intrested in the auto box now. Can anyone tell me more about it?

How much power can it handle? Kick down? Tiptronic?

Cheers

Awesome box at BPU level around 380-400bhp the kickdown is insane!. You can fit a small single turbo and the autobox will cope with a couple of gearbox oil coolers. The thing that kills the autoboxes are lots of torque and heat! Have a search on Youtube for BPU Auto Supra's :thumbs: