The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Window tints or no tints?

FOSTA

Tints or no tints?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Tints or no tints?

Hi guys, with me having the rear cage fitted I like the idea of being able to see it from outside the car.

Also I'm in the process of buying a nitrous express N-tercooler kit. So I'm thinking of mounting the bottle in the middle of the Rear seats so the valve is accessible from sitting in the drivers seat.

So I'm thinking of taking off my window tints so you can see inside.

What do yous think, should I remove the window tints or leave them on?

It's more for looks if I'm honest, I'm not bothered about people seeing in or anything as I can fit anti-smash and grab window film to the windows if needed.

Here is a picture I've just took of a side view:

Here is a picture of the rear cage fitted, I've had if painted the same color as my front brakes so I think it could look nice if you could see it through the glass.

I thought it was illegal to have tints that dark anyway.

Yeah it's illigal mate, all modern glass comes factory tinted 70% ( so lets 70% light pass through the glass) wich looks clear to us but that's as dark as you can go legally. In a nut shell you can't touch the 2 front windows.

I only done them the other week as I was selling up and thought it might look better but I'm not now ;)

Remove the tints. What's the point in spending all the time having the cage made and fitted also painted in custom purple and not being able to see it? :)

Yeah that's what I thought mr bailey ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd remove the tints to just make the car look a bit more nice, I think the tints spoil the look IMO, unless you just do the rear & back slightly... like the stock tint.

:thumbs:

I'd remove them to expose the cage more, unless of course your fug ugly then keep them ;)

I'm getting mine done soon...

No I'm quite the looker..........although I do have a ginger beard, And it can be quite distracting when the light catches it a surtan way!

Can you get points for tints ?

Yes 3 points for every window over the limit so 6 points for the front 2 windows. Its quite rare though most people get away with just taking it off, others with a £60.00 fine.

I've only came across 4 people in the last 10years that got points.

But it's still not worth the risk! :)

mine came from japan with them on the rear windows, its why I refer to the car as "the van"

to me they are a pain and i'll be removing them soon, should be able to see my cage better then too ha ha!

any advice on removal before we both potentially frustrated and revert to the ball pein hammer method?

mine came from japan with them on the rear windows, its why I refer to the car as "the van"

to me they are a pain and i'll be removing them soon, should be able to see my cage better then too ha ha!

any advice on removal before we both potentially frustrated and revert to the ball pein hammer method?

Yep, get a 1" window scraper blade and any spray bottle that you can fill with soapy water.

For the front windows and 2 rear quarter glass just rip them stright off ( this will leave a thin layer of glue still on the glass)

Spray the window your doing with soapy water and scrape the glue off using only side ways strokes while keeping the blade flat! ( very important!)

Then this way all 4 windows will be stripped in under 10 minutes.

Now the rear screen is a differant kettle of fish! Take a heat gun and heat up the outside of the glass and peel very slowly watching the heated lines ( start from a corner), it should feel like it peels off quite easy but gets harder as you get to the centre of the screen, this is normal don't be tempted to pull harder to get it off faster as if it starts to jump off in short bursts you have most likly damaged your heated elements on the glass. So take it easy!

Now depending on the film fitted you might get lucky and all the glue will have come off with the film so non on the glass, if your not so lucky go out and get your self a packet of 6 non-scratch resistant kitchen sponges ( the ones with the scrubber on one side ) and spray the window with soapy water and expect tto be there scrubbing for around 1-2hrs. Its tedious but worth taking your time :)

Remove the tints not because of the cage but because they are illegal for a reason.

I have a pet hate for really dark tints like that, you can't see properly and could find yourself in a lot of trouble if you were to pull out on a motorcycle and ended up killing someone.

Remove the tints not because of the cage but because they are illegal for a reason.

I have a pet hate for really dark tints like that, you can't see properly and could find yourself in a lot of trouble if you were to pull out on a motorcycle and ended up killing someone.

Yeah like said I only tinted the fronts the other week as I was selling up and thought it might of looked better.

They are illgal but they are actually only light smoke! 35%

It's just the way the picture has taken it makes them look a lot darker then they actually are. But they are comming off now! :)

The window tinting on your car looks like its been done to a very high standard. But, sporty cars don't really suit window tints IMO, notable exceptions being the Nissan S13 200SX / 180SX and the Honda NSX.

Cheers dude:) yeah they are coming off now :)

- - - Updated - - -

mate- that's a massive help, many many thanks for the write up :)

:thumbs: