The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uprated alternators. Where to buy?

SupraLEDrears

Guest Roger NE

Very simple mod to adjust the voltage output, you just alter the Regulator reference.

But why on earth would you want to increase the VOLTAGE output?!

For a start, lead/acid batteries are supposed to be charged by applying a Constant Voltage of 13.8 Volts - anything greater than that seriously reduces their lifespan

But you'll also find your bulbs won't last very long !

Guest Roger NE

Fair enough, but increasing the voltage WILL reduce your bulb life . . . I remember the days BEFORE Alternators, with the crude regulators on Dynamos . . . bulbs didn't last nearly as long

I'm looking for a 180a alternator

Blimey . . . . that is 2.5 kW !! What on earth do you need that much power for? (You'll also be using LOADS of extra fuel . . . might even strip your Crank Pulley with all that extra load)

I also doubt whether a standard one could be re-wound to produce that much power - it would probably need a bigger casing to fit the thicker wire in.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

I have 160amp in stock

http://www.mkivsupras.net/vbb/showthread.php?292962-SRD-Uprated-Alternators

Drop me a pm if you need one

Thanks

Will do if I can't get it rewound but let me know when you have the 200's in stock again please.

Im just getting a 996 one altered so it puts out close to 15v Ill let you know a price when its done for a similar mod, doubt it will cost much.

Thanks dude!

Think people are getting confused here, voltage and Amperage are different things.

Increasing the voltage of the alternator is not going to help if your running lots of equipment.

If you can fit an adjustable regulator to try and stabilise the voltage that's fine.

The OP requires a high Amp alternator.

Think people are getting confused here, voltage and Amperage are different things.

Increasing the voltage of the alternator is not going to help if your running lots of equipment.

If you can fit an adjustable regulator to try and stabilise the voltage that's fine.

The OP requires a high Amp alternator.

Correct :)

Guest Roger NE

I don't think anyone was getting confused . . . the comments about Current and Voltage were from two different people.

But regarding Harry's original point . . .

Because I need to charge 3 batteries for my car audio system

Yes but what most people don't seem to realise is that whenever the engine is running, it's the ALTERNATOR that powers everything, NOT the battery (or batteries) . . . . that's because the voltage it gives is slightly higher than the battery voltage.

But equally, regardless of how much current your Alternator is CAPABLE of giving, a lead/acid battery won't normally draw more than about 15 amps when re-charging itself, even if it's VERY flat.

I don't think anyone was getting confused . . . the comments about Current and Voltage were from two different people.

That's why it's not lead/acid batteries but top secret dry cell deep cycle batteries that weighs about 7 stone each. :p

Yes but what most people don't seem to realise is that whenever the engine is running, it's the ALTERNATOR that powers everything, NOT the battery (or batteries) . . . . that's because the voltage it gives is slightly higher than the battery voltage.

But equally, regardless of how much current your Alternator is CAPABLE of giving, a lead/acid battery won't normally draw more than about 15 amps when re-charging itself, even if it's VERY flat.

That's why it's not lead/acid batteries but top secret dry cell deep cycle batteries that weighs about 7 stone each. :p

Yes I know that but the OP asked about high amperage alternators.

I wasnt directing my post at you, I agree with what you have said.

Edited by Lee P (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...