The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another brake bleeding thread

cainhead

Can somebody clarify a few bits, better yet just point me in the direction of a how to bleed brakes step by step instructions. I have abs, which seems to be the bit I don't get. The pedal hits the floor and barely stops the car. I hope it's just air in the lines but if it's master cylinder etc then so be it but I still need to check simple things first. At least get them working enough to get it to my garage.

All help greatly appreciated

If you can get your hands on one a vacuum bleeder makes the job very easy and you can do it

on your own

I saw your previous posts on this. Had a look on ebay for one. Will put the misses to good use for now and save myself the cash. But worth the investment in the future.

Turn on engine so it's ticking over.

Start at the wheel furthest from the brake fluid bottle.

Unscrew bleed nipple quarter of a turn.

Press a length of clear hose over the bleed nipple and the other end into a spare bottle to catch the fluid.

Top up brake fluid header bottle.

Get the wife to pump the brake pedal a few times.

You'll need to keep checking and topping up the brake fluid bottle, if it runs dry you'll suck air into the brake lines.

Keep pumping pedal until the fluid runs through the tube without any air bubbles.

When the fluid in the tube is running clear with no bubbles, get the wife to hold down the pedal, as she does tighten the bleed nipple, just nip it up, careful not to over tighten it.

Repeat above, working on next furthest wheel from the brake fluid bottle. Last caliper to be bled will be the one closest the header bottle.

After you've bled each caliper, check you have a firm brake pedal, if there is too much travel or it feels soft there will be air in the lines somewhere and you'll need to rebleed each caliper again.

Once done, double check there is no brake fluid leaking from any of the bleed nipples, calipers or brake lines, then top up the brake fluid bottle to max line.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

If you're not getting a firm brake pedal after that then it'll be worth thoroughly cleaning the back of the calipers especially around the bleed nipple as the caliper can crack. Might not be obvious at first but if you get someone to press the brake pedal whilst you check around the bleed nipple, it'll show up any cracks. This isn't uncommon on the J-spec brakes.

If you can get your hands on one a vacuum bleeder makes the job very easy and you can do it

on your own

Or just get the not-expensive vacuum bleeder and do each corner in a couple of minutes, and infinitely better than you'll ever achieve with the brake pedal method :)

Which vacuum bleeder have you chaps got? I bought one but I found it absolutely awful to use. I couldn't get a decent vacuum seal around the bleed nipple. I've read the recommendations about using vaseline to form a good seal, but loosening and tightening the nipple broke the seal every time. It's probably rubbish technique on my part.

This:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS402-Vacuum-Tester-Brake-Bleeding-Kit-Cars-Bikes-Automotive-Garage-/121087068169

Bargain. I too had the same problem you mention but I used automotive grease and a lot of it. Smear it around the nipple's threads and caliper as well as where the vacuum tube end goes on the nipple and you get a perfect seal. Be generous :)

We used a Mityvac bleeder like this one, didn't have any issues or mess around with grease

as far as i can re call, just crack open the nipple and bingo, keeping the mcr topped up along the

way.

It too longer to walk round the car than bleeding all 4 calipers :)

Brakes were 100% spot on afterwards but we had fitted brand new

UK spec calipers all round with new braided lines and Motul RBF600/660 fluid

07300.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)