The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single for £6000

craig l

The guy who services my car has a supra he uses for drifting and time attack, hes adding more power to his car so hes offered me everything i need to go from bpu to single for £6000 including labour, thats an offer i cant refuse all his parts are fairly new including gt35r turbo tial wastegate tial bov aem ecu aem induction kit exedy twin plate clutch boost controller, the only extra will be getting it remapped. Hes offered me his suspension as well for £600 not sure which make but cost £1200 new, car goes in tommorrow should be ready end of next week.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is you "guy" buddy, and what manifold are you being supplied with, which AEM, and which suspension?

I'm assuming he will be including injectors? How about the fuelling?

Not doubting your mechanic, just asking the question that need answers, as £6k is a decent chunk of change

Its marcin auto centre in dundee their polish he knows supras inside out he gets sponsored for drifting his car his was over 600bhp, not sure which manifold he wrote me a list of parts, but yes bigger injectors fuel rail bigger fuel pump oil cooler not sure which aem either, im leaving it in his hands and looking forward to the results.

I would want to know exactly what I was getting for my money, might be worth posting up a full list of all the parts (including make and model) that are being fitted so we can give it a once over for you. A GT35R makes for a very quick street setup but a reliable build needs good quality supporting parts.

I'd also do a bit of research and make sure they really do know what they are doing, they may well know their stuff but you can't be too careful, in the end it's your car and a whole chunk of money.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I would want to know exactly what I was getting for my money, might be worth posting up a full list of all the parts (including make and model) that are being fitted so we can give it a once over for you.

Exactly - not to mention a solid reference or two on the workmanship of the mechanic or a solid contract just incase a Brazil happens......

He did give me rough list of parts but not in detail the parts are coming off his car which he built himself, hes upgrading everything on his for more power and he has a new sponsorship worth a lot of money for drifting so i trust his workmanship. Hes been servicing my car for about 2 years now so i do trust him.Plus his parts are all fairly new the turbos had about 15hours drifting use on it.

He did give me rough list of parts but not in detail the parts are coming off his car which he built himself, hes upgrading everything on his for more power and he has a new sponsorship worth a lot of money for drifting so i trust his workmanship. Hes been servicing my car for about 2 years now so i do trust him.Plus his parts are all fairly new the turbos had about 15hours drifting use on it.

I'd still want to know exactly what parts and work you are getting done for the money, that way everyone knows where they stand if there are any problems down the line. I've read too many build horror stories over the years, it's really not worth taking things on trust.

thanks for the advice nic your making me have doubts t lol, ill talk to him tommorrow

I use to run a Garrett GT35R on my Supra (see my garage), I don't want to put you off it makes for a very responsive, fast street setup and makes a BPU Supra feel very tame in comparison. I just think before you go ahead it would be wise to find out exactly what parts you are buying and what work will be done to your car, if you post up details then we'll be able to give you better feedback.

thanks for the advice nic your making me have doubts now lol, ill talk to him tommorrow

Nic's been on the forum for ages and has solid advise, I'd follow it quite closely. I can tell you my friend who knows Supra's inside out, he also drifts like most people but it is a different ball game to whether they are any good by past Supra's they have worked on. Just have a look at the SRD cars which are being built month after month with a reliable build, this speaks volume. :)

£6000 for all those parts *could* be a bargain, it depends on the spec. I'd be especially concerned about the ECU and manifold being supplied.

After all that though, there is another significant cost - mapping, which WILL be expensive if done correctly.

An example from another thread:

I rebuilt my engine, started it my end and made sure it didn't leak, turned it off then put it on a trailer 120 miles to TDI South where they run the car in for 6 hours on a dyno. They took leak down measurements 4 times to keep an eye on the cylinder sealing.

Next day, 4 more hours of running in, a full oil change.... mine takes 12L..... :D

Then another day mapping, cost £3000 all in, and was worth every penny knowing it was done right, you only get one chance to run an engine in. :)

Correct in every way, building the engine is just the start, God knows how much mappers and dyno owners have had off me over the years, but race winning engines and a relatively stress free existence, engine wise has, had me have few regrets. It ain't a cheap hobby....

I know the OP isn't having his engine built, I'm just demonstrating the cost of mapping.

have we figured out what parts are being talked about for this £6k figure.

like i said i can only see 4 items that needs replacing over the BPU setup which i feel can easily be done for £6k. I know i'm in the process of doing this and at present i'm nowhere near that and already got ECU, Fuelling, Clutch and half way through building my turbo setup. I will admit though i do all my own labour so can't include that but even at a guess at labour we'd still be in the same ball park.

this is of course on the assumption that all the "BPU" parts i'm thinking are included in that previous setup are there. Obviously if your missing things like decent exhaust, intercooler etc etc then costs would sky rocket.

Tim

I have a list of parts update everything is new or nearly new, gt35r turbo tial wastegate tial bov aem series 2 ecu aem induction kit aem wide band aem boost controller siemens fueling with 920 injectors screamer pipe exedy twin plate clutch 044 fuel pump manifold with t3 flange oil cooler and everything else ill need ie pipes hoses etc, also some engine bling if i want it, the suspension is bc but not decided if i want that yet.

He did say £1200 then said it was £900 i do have a question that concerns me as i dont know much about it, as for the mapping he uses a guy he trusts and says is very good i asked about the rolling road which he says hed put his wheels with bigger tyres on the back of my car and its gets mapped on the road can this be done as accuratly as a rolling road mapping.

He did say £1200 then said it was £900 i do have a question that concerns me as i dont know much about it, as for the mapping he uses a guy he trusts and says is very good i asked about the rolling road which he says hed put his wheels with bigger tyres on the back of my car and its gets mapped on the road can this be done as accuratly as a rolling road mapping.

I'd imagine you would get a more accurate BHP figure on a rolling road. Im not sure of the differences to be honest, but im sure someone will be able to answer that question for you :)