The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Underseal waxing recommendation in Cambridge/Huntingdon area

Delboy52

Guest Roger NE

I've always done mine myself . . . not only is it WAY cheaper, you also know how thorough a job has been done!

The main thing is to spend ages doing the prep with a screwdriver and wire brush underneath, removing all loose old underseal (as this can trap water), and removing as much surface rust as possible. Jack the car up and remove each wheel in turn while you do it.

Then I use Tetroseal aerosol cans, which are about £7 each for the large ones . . . . 3 cans will do the whole car.

Sure, you get filthy (I always put a shower cap on now, as the stuff gets in your hair!) . . . but as I say, at least you know the job has been done thoroughly.

If you want to be REALLY thorough, and try and protect INSIDE things, you can squirt something like Waxoyl through the holes in the bottom of the doors, and remove any rubber chassis bungs and do the same. Even better, remove the door cards, interior trims and boot trims and do it that way.

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

I've always done mine myself . . . not only is it WAY cheaper, you also know how thorough a job has been done!

The main thing is to spend ages doing the prep with a screwdriver and wire brush underneath, removing all loose old underseal (as this can trap water), and removing as much surface rust as possible. Jack the car up and remove each wheel in turn while you do it.

Then I use Tetroseal aerosol cans, which are about £7 each for the large ones . . . . 3 cans will do the whole car.

Sure, you get filthy (I always put a shower cap on now, as the stuff gets in your hair!) . . . but as I say, at least you know the job has been done thoroughly.

If you want to be REALLY thorough, and try and protect INSIDE things, you can squirt something like Waxoyl through the holes in the bottom of the doors, and remove any rubber chassis bungs and do the same. Even better, remove the door cards, interior trims and boot trims and do it that way.

Which Tetroseal products do you use and how long would you say it lasts? Does it need doing every couple of years?

I got my car on a lift and cleaned underneath before doing anything, the car was pretty clean and rust free anyway but I want it to stay that way! :) All the metal parts i.e the diff, subframe etc I painted with Hammerite direct to rust tin paint. After that I did the rest of the car with Hammerite under-body seal with added waxoyl in a spray can. Make sure you do not get it on anything that gets hot! Very pleased with the result.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_167975_langId_-1_categoryId_255239

http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/images//42089HBO111111M.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_179695_langId_-1_categoryId_165594

Guest Roger NE
Which Tetroseal products do you use and how long would you say it lasts? Does it need doing every couple of years?

It's the 500mL aerosol can of Tetroseal Underbody Sealant . . . I like it, because it bonds well, and is very tar-like, so gives good protection (doesn't flake off, like paint can)

Personally, I check under the car every year, and scrape/respray any area that needs it (usually only need one can to do this)