The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake pedal hits the floor

cainhead

As per the title. Just fitted new fmic and the cars been sat not really moving for about a month. Went to take it out today to test the ic and get the shock of my life when I got to the end of the road. Can't see any leaks under the car/around brakes. Fluid was very low but it worked when I last used it. Saying that my last time out was a track day at SPA and the brakes got a hammering. Maybe just air in the system but not sure what a master cylinder problem would feel like. Tried topping fluid up but still not much use. Feels like the pads just makes contact when the pedal is all the way down.

Any thoughts, things to look for.

Cheers

As per the title. Just fitted new fmic and the cars been sat not really moving for about a month. Went to take it out today to test the ic and get the shock of my life when I got to the end of the road. Can't see any leaks under the car/around brakes. Fluid was very low but it worked when I last used it. Saying that my last time out was a track day at SPA and the brakes got a hammering. Maybe just air in the system but not sure what a master cylinder problem would feel like. Tried topping fluid up but still not much use. Feels like the pads just makes contact when the pedal is all the way down.

Any thoughts, things to look for.

Cheers

there is a thread on here about 15 year brake line rotted through..

Worth a check?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?140112-WARNING-15-year-old-brake-line-rotted-through

When you get to drive as many dodgy conversions as i do you get into the habit of :

1, Stand on the brakes *hard* for 4 seconds, check the pedal doesn't sink.

2, Try the brakes at a very low speed. Then a bit higher speed.

*BEFORE* you get to the end of the road..... ;)

Yes, I learned the hard way, many years ago, it's now second nature.

Also make it a habit of pumping the brake pedal to settle the caliper pistons as a job IMMEDIATELY after fitting new pads, before you forget and try and get it out of the workshop with a pedal that goes to the floor six times before *ANY* braking occurs...

Have you got braided brake lines? My gf's supra did this. The sliders on one of the front and rear carriers were seized. Because the braided lines didn't flex it pushed the master cylinder open. We put new pads and discs all round, a new master cylinder and bled it 5 times failing to spot the sliders lol