The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Break in attempt?

Gretie22

5:40 this morning, I'm trying to get my little man back to sleep (he's almost gone) hear my proximity alarm then instantly the whole alarm starts going of. Run to grab the keys (still holding baby, who is now no longer going to sleep) run back to the bedroom pass over my son to my partner who is already at the window. There is a man getting into the passenger side of an estate car, which is parked on a space with one car in between the supra and this car (residential car park) and then drives off. This car was not frozen like the rest of the cars in the car park.

My proximity alarm is quite sensitive but the main alarm isn't, so the car has either been hit (didn't hear a bang) or someone has tried to pull the door handle which makes the alarm go off instantly. So I'm thinking this man has tried to open the door. I went out to inspect the car with a torch straight away, no damage, was hoping that the door handles would of been frosty so I would of been able to see if anyone had touched it but they weren't.

Am I being paranoid here, or does this sound dodgy to you, or that was just someone going to work?

Edited by Gretie22 (see edit history)

maybe dodgy but the man could have been getting picked up for work and simply walked past your supra and maybe knocked it walking through, my proximity alarm goes off all the time ,

on the plus side if it was dodgy they now know that your car has a good alarm and wont waste there time again if they was after it

To be honest for a robber to parkg his own car next to a car hes wes going to steal (or even think about stealing) is a bad move. Possibly would have parked a street down and walked to your car.

Everyone's a bit dopey in the morning. .. may have just nudged it abit walking pased on the way to work.

Either way. Keep an eye out for the next few days

Move house get a garage.... Job done.

Seriously though over the years I've learnt you can only try and work out how the criminal mind works and then try to be one step infront, would we park the car only one car down if we were to steel the car? No.... Would they? Who nos in all honesty.

You alarm sounds a good one literally but if I were you I'd assume it was a failed attempt so you can be prepared for it happening again.

Personally if you haven't already get a full cover steering lock and a hiden kill switch to the fuel pump (or take te relay to bed with you), that way if they do get past the alarm and immobiliser which they no it now has there still not going anywhere until they get the steering lock off and then work out how to start it..... All of which takes time.

If they ever manage to get in to my garage they would have to trailer it away as there is no way on earth they would no how to start it.

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

maybe dodgy but the man could have been getting picked up for work and simply walked past your supra and maybe knocked it walking through, my proximity alarm goes off all the time ,

on the plus side if it was dodgy they now know that your car has a good alarm and wont waste there time again if they was after it

Wouldn't of needed to walk past my car where it is. My proximity alarm goes off all the time to, falling leaves set it off.

If it was someone trying to break in they were easily scared by your alarm so I wouldn't worry too much. That's my opinion anyway

It's a silly place to try break into a car, if that's what they where doing, it's all bedrooms that back onto the car park, lots of twitchy curtains :/ my alarm is very loud, poor neighbours :(

To be honest for a robber to parkg his own car next to a car hes wes going to steal (or even think about stealing) is a bad move. Possibly would have parked a street down and walked to your car.

Everyone's a bit dopey in the morning. .. may have just nudged it abit walking pased on the way to work.

Either way. Keep an eye out for the next few days

Yeah, I know. But there is a lot of stupid people around here :blink:

Move house get a garage.... Job done.

Seriously though over the years I've learnt you can only try and work out how the criminal mind works and then try to be one step infront, would we park the car only one car down if we were to steel the car? No.... Would they? Who nos in all honesty.

You alarm sounds a good one literally but if I were you I'd assume it was a failed attempt so you can be prepared for it happening again.

Personally if you haven't already get a full cover steering lock and a hiden kill switch to the fuel pump (or take te relay to bed with you), that way if they do get past the alarm and immobiliser which they no it now has there still not going anywhere until they get the steering lock off and then work out how to start it..... All of which takes time.

If they ever manage to get in to my garage they would have to trailer it away as there is no way on earth they would no how to start it.

In an ideal world I would have a garage. Got a cover, will be putting it on this evening. Although even if they got past the alarm and immobiliser they would have to contend with a dodgy starter motor :p

I would guess that he was walking past and bumped it too.

However you would be surprised how many people just try doors to see if the car is unlocked. I almost always use to leave my cars unlocked, one time i came back to find some boxes that i on my back seat left on the outside of my car, they were empty so got left.

another time on my own drive way some one had been through my glove box and taken a faulty satnav that i had been meaning to throw in the bin. I never leave anything of value in my car and i see leaving it open as a way to avoid a broken window which has happened to me too :p