The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin turbos seized on supra Jap import 1993 (Mkiv) HELP!!! ANY ADVICE WELCOMED.

Guest andymsmith

Guest andymsmith

Garage says new turbos plus labour will cost about £4-5,000 to replace fromToyota. She is a much loved old girl - had her for nearly 20 years and will be heartbroken if its the end of the line.

Hi and Welcome,

I would seriously consider contacting one of the Traders on the forums, they will be able to give you a price on new units (for a lot less than Mr T), Used units can be purchased from Keron (pending availability) and by paying £10 for a club membership, you shall have access to the Classifieds sections.

If you have continued going to Toyota for the last 20 years for parts and servicing, then im sure £10 spent on Club membership could still save you ££££'s.

:)

so nice only here to help his pocket :taped:

A bit unnecessary in my opinion. Not everyones life revolves around a club or forum, he is obviously passionate about his car and up until now has been well served by the car and the garage he takes it to to be looked after. To be fair to the garage whilst the 'seizing' description sounds off if they are goosed in some way then the quotes for new replacement Toyota turbo's aren't surprising, yes they probably aren't thinking outside the box etc hence the guys search on here for more affordable alternatives.

A bit unnecessary in my opinion. Not everyones life revolves around a club or forum, he is obviously passionate about his car and up until now has been well served by the car and the garage he takes it to to be looked after. To be fair to the garage whilst the 'seizing' description sounds off if they are goosed in some way then the quotes for new replacement Toyota turbo's aren't surprising, yes they probably aren't thinking outside the box etc hence the guys search on here for more affordable alternatives.

This. And to be fair, does it matter if the guy disappears after his problem has been sorted? We've still helped keep one more mkiv on the road, which in my eyes is a good thing!

Welcome to the club Andy. As people have already said, contact some of the traders on here and have a chat about them either supplying rebuilt units at around £1000 - £1200, but this won't include any labour costs in terms of removal. Or, speak to Keron and see if he has any second hand sets; these can usually be had for less than £350 easily (usually quite a bit less!) but you always run the risk of fitting them, and they go pop too!

Before any of this though, you need to establish if they are seized and need replacing! If they have not seized, but lost their fins then the question always is, where did the fins end up and what damage did they cause! Get some info from the garage, or tell us what your symptoms were and there are plenty of people round here that can help you diagnose :) And for what it's worth, then £10 I spent on membership saved me 5 times that on my first order of parts from Toyota alone due to the club discount. The amount this place has saved me over the years with diagnostics and advice isn't even possible to calculate!

maybe yes but to a degree true, you may even get garages on here who get free advice then boom gone!! but i'm sure it'll be fixed