The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stronger Auto box

ADD

Gents

I'm giving it strong thought to getting a stronger built auto box with a Hi stall TC, but not sure whether to go for a Titan, BL or SRD built box. Can anybody shed any light on this for me from experience of using them?

Thanks

ADD

to be far the srd boxes have never been proven as yet i think glenk has had one put in his big build but havent heard anything in a while

I was gonna say this, I would be very tempted by a Titan box or the guy swampy knows, unless SRD will stand by their box I would be unwilling to be a guinea pig

Cant fault the Boostlogic box so far! Awesome piece of kit. I would go for the Precision 3600RPM torque converter aswell :)

I understand Boostlogic don't have a great reputation with there autobox, But if you look after it should prolong the life of the gearbox. I would Fit 2 or more gearbox coolers and don't use manual mode and you should be okay. It is also a good idea fitting a lock up switch, because autoboxes don't like heat and torque hence the reason they fail. A lockup switch can be used to lock the torque converter on the motorway etc so you don't boil the gearbox oil.

Edited by Chris Bailey (see edit history)

I was gonna say this, I would be very tempted by a Titan box or the guy swampy knows, unless SRD will stand by their box I would be unwilling to be a guinea pig

Glenn's box has been running 700hp and loads of torque for sometime, no guinea big required.

Also we warranty the box anyway as long as its used properly, you wont have to send it back to America if you get an issue.

Cant fault the Boostlogic box so far! Awesome piece of kit. I would go for the Precision 3600RPM torque converter aswell :)

I understand Boostlogic don't have a great reputation with there autobox, But if you look after it should prolong the life of the gearbox. I would Fit 2 or more gearbox coolers and don't use manual mode and you should be okay. It is also a good idea fitting a lock up switch, because autoboxes don't like heat and torque hence the reason they fail. A lockup switch can be used to lock the torque converter on the motorway etc so you don't boil the gearbox oil.

A stock gearbox will run fine with 2 gearbox cooler on it, boostlogic boxes seem to have a worse track record than stock.

Ive had multiple issues with boostlogic boxes and none so far with stock apart from Glenn's stock box.

He was tracking the car at the time though so its no surprise it failed

Also we have stripped a boostlogic box and was shocked at how little was actually done to it, its probably the mods that make it fail so quickly.

Glenn's box has been running 700hp and loads of torque for sometime, no guinea big required.

Also we warranty the box anyway as long as its used properly, you wont have to send it back to America if you get an issue.

This. I will be going with an SRD box when mine goes pop.

A stock gearbox will run fine with 2 gearbox cooler on it, boostlogic boxes seem to have a worse track record than stock.

Ive had multiple issues with boostlogic boxes and none so far with stock apart from Glenn's stock box.

He was tracking the car at the time though so its no surprise it failed

Also we have stripped a boostlogic box and was shocked at how little was actually done to it, its probably the mods that make it fail so quickly.

Some last some don't, I've heard people on Supraforums that have had there Boostlogic box 5-10 years with no issues. I think they only change the line pressure? I've heard some people control the boostlogic box the the AEM ECU's which is not what the gearbox likes.

Using a autobox on a track never seems a good idea. I doubt any gearbox likes a trackday thrashing, Especially a autobox.

I think Boostlogic made updated box, Not 100% sure though.

That's good to hear, obviously any one would be sceptical of a product that's new to the market, I know you produce some very good products. Didn't think you did warrant the box due to not know how people treat the Box

That's good to hear, obviously any one would be sceptical of a product that's new to the market, I know you produce some very good products. Didn't think you did warrant the box due to not know how people treat the Box

We can tell if its been abused, a big killer is people not putting enough oil in and believe me it happens lol.

Ive run a stock auto box with Hi stall at over 650 and absolutely caned the car with no problems, the weak point is the 2nd gear sprag this will ALWAYS let go unless changed so any box without this is only a little stronger than stock, the BL boxes when stripped have virtually nothing done to them but do seem to be 'blueprinted' and have different clutches fitted, TBH the Titan box is little different but then again its not hard to make a box that stock will take 650 hp if its cooled take a bit more as the stock box is engineered to do 100,000 miles plus and we prob wont put 10,000 miles on a box and only a small % of those in very high power state.

I do know what the box Lee used at SRD has done to it and that WILL take much much more abuse than ANY of the US boxes, the trans builder is used to building very very hi spec boxes for drag cars. But if you wanted the ultimate in quickshifting and unbreakable you would need to go TH400 with gear vendors overdrive or a GM4L80E which can be modified to reliably take way over 1000 ft lbs of torque.