The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Random utterings and strange titles

Guest libra

UK cars are desirable for a variety of reasons, the only problem is they tend to have more rust problems underneath so Id certainly get them both up in the air and have a look.

100k miles is not quite high mileage, its nothing, barely run in, and backed with a service history, even better.

Blue smoke on start up is probably stem seals as you said which is a fairly common problem with the 2JZ.

No, not really... it's more that I wanted the dark blue combination with the beige/cream interior, and with a provable service history. I already have a J-spec N/A auto car (the Supra's baby brother :)) and I wanted to have a car that was TT. I cannot drive manual cars because of pressure on my spine/lumbar region, so it does limit my options. I spent an absolute fortune getting my '2 done up and I love that car to bits. However, I also want a Supra, too, and didn't really want another "project"! :D

(I must also mention, here, that I have no tangible, mechanic friends... only the contacts I know I've already contacted - those who I've spent £££s with when they did up my '2) and, of course, they have day jobs and it would be unrealistic to ask them to accompany me when helping me look at the Supras... and Ian just isn't mechanically minded at all... hence why I'm asking all these questions on the forum... hope that's OK peeps ;))

Edited by libra (see edit history)

Insurance costs are quite reasonable because the Supra would be a second car... and I have the MR2 on a classic car insurance policy with limited mileage anyway, which actually costs more to insure than what I've been quoted for the Supra. How mad is that?

I have some time (by the end of December) to decide.

So the second car is just getting a make over and no mechanical work ?

What have they both had done other than service work, do they have any new o/e parts fitted ?

In my opinion they will both cost you plenty if they haven't, £9k is too much in my opinion unless

its had a fair bit of work done.

I only sold my car for £10k, have a look at my sale thread to see its spec etc

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?275693-Black-UK-TRD-Widebody

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The trouble you've got is being colour both in and out specific. IMO on average the best condition cars left are Jap, the later they've come across from Japan the better but real good ones, as everyone is saying, are getting fewer and further between.

There are a few jspecs at £4K cheaper than the £9K one you are considering and at £9K i'd be starting to look at something like Havard's clean, low mileage, known origins and well cared for car.

This is looking from a purely value for money/lack of future hassle perspective ie ahead of colour/spec. If fixed on colour and not prepared to wait then your options are very limited and you'll have to wait to see the one currently undergoing a (superficial?) tart up to compare the two :)

The trouble you've got is being colour both in and out specific. IMO on average the best condition cars left are Jap, the later they've come across from Japan the better but real good ones, as everyone is saying, are getting fewer and further between.

There are a few jspecs at £4K cheaper than the £9K one you are considering and at £9K i'd be starting to look at something like Havard's clean, low mileage, known origins and well cared for car.

This is looking from a purely value for money/lack of future hassle perspective ie ahead of colour/spec. If fixed on colour and not prepared to wait then your options are very limited and you'll have to wait to see the one currently undergoing a (superficial?) tart up to compare the two :)

I see where you're coming from, Scooter. You've got a point, and thank you for your reply. But I have a gut feeling (good) about car 1 (because it hasn't been through a respray etc., I've seen the car and corresponding service & MoT history in the flesh, and for sub £7k, if anything needed doing to it then it can be budgeted for. I've also just had an HPI check done - all good - and the last owner for 18 years matches up with that paperwork. The car has passed its MoT recently with no advisories, so that must count for something.

I see where you're coming from, Scooter. You've got a point, and thank you for your reply. But I have a gut feeling (good) about car 1 (because it hasn't been through a respray etc., I've seen the car and corresponding service & MoT history in the flesh, and for sub £7k, if anything needed doing to it then it can be budgeted for. I've also just had an HPI check done - all good - and the last owner for 18 years matches up with that paperwork. The car has passed its MoT recently with no advisories, so that must count for something.

I doubt you will ever find a car that hasn't had paint. My car is in great knick but I am a perfectionist and very small marks on each panel led me to consider a re-spray in ours. It all depends on how perfect the owner wants his car to be. Some are in crashes, others pick up small amounts of damage by accident etc.

I would really look at a late J-spec car if you want problem free Supra ownership. After 3 years we are pretty much problem free and for a 16 year old car like mine, that is almost unheard of.

H.

Havard,

Brilliant - thank you for the insurance link. £280 is a great price and I will definitely check them out. Presumably the price you've paid includes commuting cover? Not that I'd want to commute, but on the odd days that I've got to use the Sup to drive to the station, I would look for insurance to cover that.

You can add commuting but mine doesn't include for it. Sted on here added his and it wasn't much compared to the annual policy.