The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Noise coming from steering

SupraP-Z

Hey all, im getting a noise from my steering, almost like an electric saw going through stone/brick kind of sound, it happens while driving or just turning the wheel left and right..sometimes its just plain embarassing, sometimes its bearable. My fluid is just below the line, but im not sure if a top up would cure this, is the pump on its way out?

I think the fluid definately needs changing, as does the filter at the bottom, will also replace the o-ring, as there is some black stuff leaking underneath the pump...although that may be oil from my cam covers....they need changing too :( do you guys think i will be needing a new pump at all?

- - - Updated - - -

I will definately bleed the system, as soon as i get some new fluid in there

I think the fluid definately needs changing, as does the filter at the bottom, will also replace the o-ring, as there is some black stuff leaking underneath the pump...although that may be oil from my cam covers....they need changing too :( do you guys think i will be needing a new pump at all?

- - - Updated - - -

I will definately bleed the system, as soon as i get some new fluid in there

Pump should be fine

Check the power steering cooler lines, often there is a small piece of pipe that can leak about 6-8 inches down from the banjo connection.

The hose can be seen on the left hand side of the first picture in this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267134-Power-steering-relocation-setup-cooler

It might appear okay, but then the system is pressurised when the steering wheel is turned and it can leak. Worth checking.

Edit: The hose is located on the left hand side(low down) of the engine bay as you stand at the front of the car. Think it's easier to remove the air box etc to get access.

Edited by st3ven1 (see edit history)