The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on Supra For Sale

mick901

Looking to buy my first Supra, ideally in the summer but have came across this on PistonHeads - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/1994-toyota-supra-3-0-twin-turbo--auto--jdm-import-model/1906598

Does anyone know the car or have an idea of its condition? The price kind of attracts me and puts me off at the same time, it'd need work aesthetically to get it how I'd like, but I'm more concerned about the mechanics of it.

Thanks.

He replied to a message I sent saying the car drives fine and the interior is excellent but had a couple of scuffs on the bumper and a blister on one of the rear arches, but said they'd be getting sorted this week and would be in superb condition.

Don't have a lot of experience with Supra's aside from my dad having a couple years ago. I work in a garage but is there anything out of the ordinary I need to look for if I go and have a look?

Edited by mick901 (see edit history)

Dnk is right but IMO of late his glass is a little half empty!

The auto boxes are very tough.....if you think the shifting or operation is below par it'll indicate a possible servicing or mileage issue...I highly suspect you will find all is ok in this department.

The engine/turbo's are generally tough, the older and higher mileage the car is, the more stock I'd like it to be. The cars take tuning well, but 1.2 bar for tens of thousands of miles with perhaps patchy servicing is going to age a car like this far more than a stock car with a good routine service history. It 'looks' stock'ish, I'd certainly check for decats and if present you can try and check the exhaust at all stages for any oil smoke. A torch inside the oil filler cap will show you the intake cam and general state of the head.....light brown oil best to caked in solid black residue the worst. This is an area where a bad choice will be costly!

When you turn the ignition on check both banks of warning lights actually light up on both side of the top of the dash and then all go out after starting. It should feel nice to drive (suitably vague i know!) the turbo will whistle but with that cars air intake and exhaust you might not hear this too much (it's fairly pronounced in a totally stock car)

It's pretty much bargain basement money but doesn't mean it's a heap so go have a look :)

NB obviously look at everything you can goes without saying just trying to add a few Supra specifics.

Many thanks for the tips, especially Scooter :) much appreciated. I'll have a think over the weekend and probably try and have a look at it once it's ready.

I have a very experienced mechanic who would come with me along with my brother who is a mechanic and MOT tester, so that should minimise any mistakes that could be made.

Here is the guide that was mentioned earlier, I didn't have this when I brought mine but it is worth printing off so you can have a list to check. It's easy to see cars and fall in love with them and basic common sense goes flying out the window.

Welcome to the club too :thumbs:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?67644-What-to-check-when-buying-a-Supra

I'm in the north east so it's around a 2hr drive for me I think. If you could I'd be over the moon but don't worry if not mate :)

I can do a weekday however it will have to be after work and there will be no lights...im sure there is some rule about looking at cars in the night! Weekend is the best for me but could be sold by then?

Yes it could be half empty rather than half full but knowing what i know and

seeing what gets posted on here would make me extremely cautious if i were to buy

another mkiv na, tt or single. Jap or UK with or without history.

Sorry to sound negative but at least that way you shouldn't have any nasty surprises

All the rubber parts would concern me (suspension bushes, crank pulley, brake caliper seals,

engine hoses)

Along with radiators, intercoolers, heater matrix etc which if they are the original ones

can't be in that great a shape on a car thats 20 yrs old and done over 100,000 miles

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Well after having a think and talking to my old man this morning he's basically told me not to compromise on what I want, which has always been a black Supra, because I'll end up regretting it. I'm usually terrible for buying the first thing that catches my eye so I think I'll listen to him on this occasion and wait it out. Thanks for all of the advice, it won't be wasted and thanks to UFO for the offer :)

If anyone knows of a nice black TT auto going for similar money let me know, my budget will increase with time as like I said the original plan was to purchase one in the latter half of 2014.

Well after having a think and talking to my old man this morning he's basically told me not to compromise on what I want, which has always been a black Supra, because I'll end up regretting it. I'm usually terrible for buying the first thing that catches my eye so I think I'll listen to him on this occasion and wait it out. Thanks for all of the advice, it won't be wasted and thanks to UFO for the offer :)

If anyone knows of a nice black TT auto going for similar money let me know, my budget will increase with time as like I said the original plan was to purchase one in the latter half of 2014.

A wise father.

I spent 5 month looking for a Celica 2.0 GT (st202) - had to be silver, stock, full history, 40k miles or less, no damage or respray, and £11k or less back in 2000, owned it 5 years and loved it.

I spent 6 month looking for my supra - TT6, White (or that dark grey/graphite), stock with stock skirts and spats, under 50k miles, grade 4 or higher on import, facelift, now Ive got it, no regrets at all about waiting :)

Bought a Silver MR2 on impulse 2 years ago... well, ive still got it, drove it about 1000 miles... and prob lost 75% of its value, £1000 in car insurance, £300 on an alarm... Wish Id never bought the damn thing haha.

Its pays to bide your time and get what you really want.