The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First start Question

LOGIE

yes but there is still coolant in the engine when the thermostat doesn't open to let it circulate.

Do you mean first time starting it up after a fresh engine rebuild?

If so its important not to let it idle at all for the first 30mins. On all the fresh engines i built i fire them up and hold them at 2500rpm for 20mins to allow it to bed in gently. AT all times getting someone else to go around the car looking for leaks, knocks or anything that shouldn't be. After that i fine tune any ignition timing (doesn't apply to CDI cars) take the car out upto 3000rpm, no more than 0.5bar if you know the fuelling is good. Plenty of overun and engine braking. 50mile mark drop the oil and replace with fresh running in oil.

i find the first initial start up and 50miles is the most important as thats when you get the most metal debrit or anything left over that wasn't cleaned properly during the build. You want that stuff out of the engine soon as possible.

After that i run till 500miles, drop the oil, new running in upto 1000miles. After that its a quick check over, re-torque head bolts if needed. And fully synthetic oil and off for mapping if its needed.

If you let it idle for long periods on first start up it'll glaze the rings and not allow them to bed in properly. this will result in oil consumption and poor sealing from then on.

Tim

ah ok. if its not been started up in a while.

Put a teaspoon amount of oil down each bore, and crank the engine with EFI fuse out until you get oil pressure built up. Then reinstall fuse and see if it'll spark into life. You'll get a bit of smoke on first start up from the oil in the bores but it means its not done any harm cranking it up after its been sat for a while.

Without coolant it'll be fine to fire for a few seconds.

Tim

ah ok. if its not been started up in a while.

Put a teaspoon amount of oil down each bore, and crank the engine with EFI fuse out until you get oil pressure built up. Then reinstall fuse and see if it'll spark into life. You'll get a bit of smoke on first start up from the oil in the bores but it means its not done any harm cranking it up after its been sat for a while.

Without coolant it'll be fine to fire for a few seconds.

Tim

Thanks mate your talking like a mechanic with a city and guilds certificate, im a f**kwit with a bag of spanners and a laptop. but ill give what you said a try :)