The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally killed (ish) an NA engine

Homer

After a week of the car being stood I fired it up today and had a good minute of bottom end knock coming from the engine (though it cleared and runs fine again). They are one tough lump, this is what it took to kill it:

1) 2008: Pull engine out of an abused crashed supra

2) Drop engine on front end of said supra while removing it

3) Rag the hell out of it for 4 years

4) Not servicing it. Ever. Didn't even change the oil, filter, plugs, nothing, it's as it was when it was pulled out of the scrap yard

5) Not fixing the engine oil leak and letting it run with the oil level light on many times (and sometimes the oil pressure light)

6) Having a missus drive it 200 miles "with those two 'oil can' lights on" (She was clueless what they meant but drove it anyway). This was 6 months ago.

7) More ragging the hell out of it

I'm amazed it lasted so long. Got to hand it to the 2JZ GE, it's difficult to break one :)

I will treat the new one better, promise :D

The thing is, they're so cheap, it's barely worth the cost of servicing them! :D (the GE, not the Supra in general)

That's my view too. I never intended on keeping the lump as it was a scrap yard one and had not been taken care of before I fitted it into the shell. It cost £100 so servicing it would have cost more than just getting another good engine (and as things have played out), it would have cost me many times more as the lump is still worth more for it's few useful parts.

Disgraceful.

Not really, it's just a crappy NA engine. Though it possibly killed a good crank. My bad. GE's can be had for a pittance anyway. I don't care, it was a scrap yard engine and it's going back to the scrap yard (or being recycled)

I'm thinking of getting it cleaned and made into a coffee table stand for my office once the TT is on the road.

Oh and the car still drives fine. No smoke, no loss of the (albeit) small amount of power, once its warm its fine. Must admit I took it from the cold start right up to triple digits down the local carriageway and its just the same as always. I bet it could be driven like this for another year or two before it finally coughs. We'll see :D

I love the GE lump, I really do. It's just keeps on going no matter what you do (or don't do) to it.

Homer, does it still make the same sound from a cold start? ie like when it's been sat over night, then after a few minuets, once warm, you don't hear it again till the next cold start? I thought that, if it was the big end you would hear it all the time.

Is yours still leaking oil on the far corner there? haha

ha ha yep you're right rich, it had a little wee wee after I first plonked it on the blocks LOL. advice to those with other halves who co own the carpet- if doing this, have the block dipped to avoid an argument. ;)