The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"How to" refurb your aerotop roof

Carbon_Bullet

Retard question, aerotop roof ????

Putting the roof part if my car back together an I carnt remember if the 2 prongs (sticky out bits) go where they are or go under the roof bit !!!

Anyone quickly check there own aerotop for me please

Have I put the side seals back on the roof properly???

EDITED.... Was a stupid question by myself and now it's a how to guide :)

Edited by Carbon_Bullet (see edit history)

This was a question asked by myself an now has turned into a "how to guide" hope it helps, much easier when you know what your doing in the first place

HOW TO DISASSEMBLE AN AEROTOP ROOF

REMOVAL

1. Unscrew the screws in all 4 corners of the roof, then both rubber seals each side should pull away, some may have loads of glue some may not, some screws may also be cover with glue.

2. Scrape away all old rubber seal & glue from the metal work otherwise you aren't going to get the new seal in, make sure to get in both grooves of the metal work! There's a further 4 screws also which you'll need to unscrew if removing the side parts altogether.

3. Once the rubbers have been removed, the roof fabric panel will unplug pretty easy,

PUTTING BACK TOGETHER

1. Once you've done what you need to do with, example:- sprayed, place it roof side down on a nice soft area, I personally used bubble wrap on the floor.

2. First thing is placing the fabric roof panel back on so it clips in

3. Screw the side plastic back on with the 4 screws inside the metal work

2. I used black sealant glue aswel to make sure it stays in place so layer abit all the way across the metal work

3. You'll notice with the brand new rubber strips they will have sticky parts either end, leave the sticky cover on until the end

4. The aerotop rubbers are labelled LEFT & RIGHT , .... Driver side being RIGHT. Make sure you get the on the right way

5. Place one end in firmly

6. Let it sit, an you may need to give it a little stretch to pull the other end over to fit comfortably

7. Placing the rubber strip on ensure you fit the rubber lip on the inside of the roof panel first as it's much easier this way when fitting the second rubber lip.

8. Second lip I used a flat head screwdriver to make sure it caught the second lip,

9. You'll know it's fitted properly when the outside seal runs flush with the plastic roof lining

10. This is what it will look like if the rubber seal hasn't been fitted correctly, bottom half of picture it's seated correct top half it hasn't, very noticeable

11. When your happy remove the sticky pads and firmly secure it to the roof

12. The make sure you out the 4 screws back in, one in each corner, can be a little tricky lining them up but you'll get there in the end

13. Pat yourself on your back an have a beer for a job well done

Edited by Carbon_Bullet (see edit history)

• 7 years later...
10 hours ago, The Raven said:

@mwilkinson and I did mine a few weeks back. 

I only wish I’d brought a new center lock before fitting.

mine was extremely tight when refitted. I guess that’s 30 year old seals vs brand new ones 

Don’t tell me that I really don’t wanna spend any more money 😂

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

@mwilkinson and I did mine a few weeks back. 

I only wish I’d brought a new center lock before fitting.

mine was extremely tight when refitted. I guess that’s 30 year old seals vs brand new ones 

Forgot to ask.. did you replace your front and rear aero seals too? If so did you bond the seals to the bodywork with a butyl sealant or just use the screws to hold it down?

2 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

We just used the screws to hold them down.  The seals themselves come with the required butyl sealant attached.

I also got Russ to reinstall his front trim with the air deflectors.  That was a really bad idea.  The noise they make is terrible.

Oh nice ok, so you don’t need to apply sealant all the way across the whole length?