The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can someone diagnose please !

supra joe

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Ok guys so here is the problem...

As you can see from the photos, one wheel is pointing slightly out while the car is pointing straight.

I didn't notice this when I bought the car from a forum member because it was running 17inch wheels and big tyres.

Anyway now we can't get the front bumper on because the passenger wheel won't turn as it hits the bumper.

As you can see there is no room for the 19 wheel to turn.

We have stripped the car down and there is no evidence of any impact/crash damage.

Can anyone help determine what it is ??? Wishbone looks fine and a local garage have said there would be no point in getting tracking done do I'm a bit stuck :(

Thanks in advance.

Is your steering wheel central or have you made one wheel flush to the bodywork by turning the wheel?

If you have then its Just the Toe out on the Geo.

Both wheels will have a little amount of toe out (or toe in depending on setup) therefore if you make one wheel straight to the bodywork the other will appear vastly out in relation to the bodywork and of course the other wheel.

If the steering wheel is central then get it over to a Geo place as at some point as the toe out on that side has been either adjusted wrong or its hit a kerb and now needs adjusting. When adjusting it they will make sure your steering wheel is central and then will adjust the Toe so its close to even both sides.

The rubbing will be down to the fact of the wheel offset and Tyre profile choice as already mentioned.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Is your steering wheel central or have you made one wheel flush to the bodywork by turning the wheel?

If you have then its Just the Toe out on the Geo.

Both wheels will have a little amount of toe out (or toe in depending on setup) therefore if you make one wheel straight to the bodywork the other will appear vastly out in relation to the bodywork and of course the other wheel.

If the steering wheel is central then get it over to a Geo place as at some point as the toe out on that side has been either adjusted wrong or its hit a kerb and now needs adjusting. When adjusting it they will make sure your steering wheel is central and then will adjust the Toe so its close to even both sides.

The rubbing will be down to the fact of the wheel offset and Tyre profile choice as already mentioned.

Thanks for the advice. So what can I do once the get is done ?? I quite like those wheels tbh. Will changing the front tires to a 30 profile allow the wheel to turn ??

- - - Updated - - -

I do have spacers on to clear the UK spec brakes too. 25ml front and rear.

Thanks for the advice. So what can I do once the get is done ?? I quite like those wheels tbh. Will changing the front tires to a 30 profile allow the wheel to turn ??

- - - Updated - - -

I do have spacers on to clear the UK spec brakes too. 25ml front and rear.

30 profile 19" tyres will cost you

Look at my photo, my car was pretty low on 19's and the wheel is still pretty central

in the wheel arch, where yours isn't.

It could be down to your set up having too much positive caster which could

be down to several things, bent upper wishbone, bent lower wishbone, wrong

adjustment on the lower wishbone eccentric adjuster for the caster or even

a bent hub

I don't think there's enough positive adjustment on the eccentric caster adjuster

to let you do this but i could be wrong.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Look at my photo, my car was pretty low on 19's and the wheel is still pretty central

in the wheel arch, where yours isn't.

It could be down to your set up having too much positive caster which could

be down to several things, bent upper wishbone, bent lower wishbone, wrong

adjustment on the lower wishbone eccentric adjuster for the caster or even

a bent hub

I don't think there's enough positive adjustment on the eccentric caster adjuster

to let you do this but i could be wrong.

So would you say get the tracking done and go from there ? Surely those guys would spot the problem a mile off??

That looks horribly wrong, it's way beyond an alignment issue surely, it's several centimeters too far forwards on both sides? Are the wishbones in the wrong way round or something mad?

- - - Updated - - -

That looks horribly wrong, it's way beyond an alignment issue surely, it's several centimeters too far forwards on both sides? Are the wishbones in the wrong way round or something mad?

I don't see how the lower wishbones could be fitted incorrectly.

Like i said im not sure how much adjustment is on the caster eccentrics on the supra but recently on my Landcruiser

i had a similar problem but with just one front wheel being about 15mm out compared to the other side which

was down to the caster being fully adjusted the wrong way

Seems funny its on both sides which kind of rules out anythings bent but its obviously wrong which you'd

think will show up in a wheel alignment check

It looks way out but if you moved the wheels back 15-20mm it wouldn't be far off putting the wheel in the center

of the arch like it is on my car

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Check it has the front top wishbones on the correct sides, they are handed. Not my cup of tea, I have to admit. 19 inch rims, spacers, wrong profile tyres, misaligned front bumper, ludicrously low. Not got much in its favor :(

Indeed they are which i'd forgot about which will obviously affect the caster, on the top of the arm its cast into

it with an L or R which you can see in my photo

DSCF0652.JPG