The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled over....again

Robzki

The missus keeps getting pulled over by the same jobsworth police'man' he has done it twice now and she comes home almost in tears, there is talk of selling the Supra :( she has also been pulled over by a couple of police before.

She is a teacher he seems to do it near to work and embarrasses her. The first time he checked the car all over and told her to change the front numberplate to a reflective which was fair enough, he also measured the exhaust noise. This was done by putting the meter just behind the exhaust, in front of his running skoda diesel in a very built up area next to high walls and lock up garages at 5:30pm on a busy road. He then asked her to rev it to 4500rpm for a while, she said that it was never driven while revving that high as it would be well into 2nd turbo territory and it made her face go funny. He said that it was capable of revving that high so she had to. It failed this scientific test. But not by much. He threatened to impound the car but said as he had been in plymouth all day impounding cars for failing db tests he would let her off because of her 'standing in the community' but said that if he caught her driving the car again he would impound it. This was about a year ago.

He stopped her again a few weeks ago, she saw him from a distance and he changed his direction to intercept her and pull her in. He had no way of hearing the car from where he was. She told him that after he stopped her last time we had done some research and had come to the conclusion that as the car was a 20yr old import and that there were no db readings released for standard that we couldn't change to a 'standard' exhaust and as far as she was concerned that it was legal. This went down really well as you can imagine. He now says that if he catches her driving it in a month he would impound it.

The car is bpu+, every mod is listed on the insurance and it passed the mot 3 days before he pulled her over. The exhaust is so quiet compared to just about every supra I have heard, I listened to most at Japfest and this one is in the quietest 10% it has a cat fitted etc. In fact I like the exhaust as it is so quiet with no drone etc.

Is there anyone with sensible advice on what to do. I really cant afford/cant warrant/dont want to buy a genuine toyota exhaust as he has demanded. In my opinion the exhaust is legal as far as the db legal limit is defined. I cant prove it though. I feel like I ought to go to the police station in the car and ask to speak to someone higher up the food chain and either ask for a ticket so I can argue it in court or get them to leave her alone. possibly complaining that this lone male policeman keeps pulling over a lone female. I have heard rumours that someone elses mother has complained off the record to a local 'special' about this bloke pulling over their daughter and upsetting her. He doesn't do anything untoward but his attitude upsets people. He seems to have a reputation for it.

Thanks

Rob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to mention that she plans to stop driving it at the end of the week as the month is up and she doesn't want the embarrassment of getting a fine/points.

His main points were that the exhaust was illegal as it was too loud and that it had been modified from standard. Not sure how the police can prove what standard is on an import.

Sounds like he has too much time on his hands personally.

If everything is spot on, and it sounds like it is from what you I have said, I would be straight to the station where he is based and looking to see the one in charge.

What the copper is doing is harassment, and it seems the authority is going to his head!

I'll have a look at the tanabe, not sure what difference it would make as he seems to want 'proper standard' it all seems like a very grey area. The exhaust hasn't been modified, and may have come on the car when imported, it passed the import tests so not sure they could prove that it didn't leave the factory as a 'special' do they have databases of db tests on jap imports that are nearly 20yrs old?

Thanks for any advice. I think I will go in and try and have an informal chat and complaint. If that doesnt work then I'm not sure on my rights to request a ticket. I'm just annoyed that he doesnt make anything formal and just wants to throw his weight around.

Yes I have his name and number, he proudly stated it when the missus asked. She is very very polite and was just intimidated by him.

If the test was conducted in an unfair way I would take the Supra there and demand they retake it in their quiet compound, then if it comes up fine get them to tell the power hungry arsehole to stay away. If your car passes their test then have a receipt of the findings signed by the highest ranking person there and keep it in the car at all times.

Maybe even exercise your right to record your conversation the guy if he pulls you or your wife again (not filming him though) as it would be amusing to see a change in his attitude.

Just try and play it smart however you go about it as you don't need to be targeted further.

This was the bit that caught my eye.

The ISO specification states :

ISO 5130 section 6.4.3 states that:

The target engine speed for category M & N vehicles shall be :

75% of the rated engine speed for vehicles with max power equal to or less than 5000Rpm

- 3750 RPM for vehicles with a rated max power between 5000 but less that 7500 RPM (this is the category my vehicle falls into)

50% of the engine speed for vehicles with a max power rating over 7500 RPM

The Officer checked my engine speed at 5250RPM, NOT 3750RPM which ISO5130 asks for.

That is 1500RPM Higher than the ISO spec asks for.

Well it seems your car should of been tested at 3750rpm as your peak power is between 5000rpm but under 7500 rpm and it should of had a 3metre space with nothing there, he must of cocked up and I think you should get your car retested with clear testing instructions. It seems the unwritten rule for prosecuting is 90 db but I am sure I read imports have a higher pass level still which being a RZ obviously it is.

After reading some of the pistonheads link like they state most cars would fail this test, lambo's,Tvr's ect. It would be funny to see them test their own cars. Maybe get them to test their sirens as there are clear test criteria db levels for them too :D

Good to see the police chasing real criminals for a change...

I used to get stopped in my black widow simply because it looked flashy - then they would parade the car looking for anything they could get me on. Far more thorough than a MoT....losers.