The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Top gaiters EBay DIY trim.

Guigsy

I posted a pic on Facebook and a few people asked if the fit was any good.

So figured I'd do a thread. Live, as I do it. So you can see how long it takes.

I've already done the centre arm rest. Which was ok to do. But the corners were difficult to stick down. It would be nicer if there was a bit more free leather to work with once it's folded arround. And because of the thickness where the stitching is when you open the lid I had to trim it down which looks a little ugly. But that could be my fault. It was my first go.

I did the 6 speed shifter. That was difficult but I winged it and didn't follow the instructions. Lol

The arm rests are a longer process. But not that difficult.

Right, first off remove the door card. Very easy if you have done it before.

Now, here are the tools you need for the rest

A couple of clamps, Phillips head screwdriver, knife of some kind, some kind of permanent spray on adhesive. I got this from staples but I'm sure there are others. Or you could use other glue I guess.

Undo all these screws from the back of the door card. There are 14 of them.

Once they are out there are 2 more screws holding the arm rest and switch pannel together.

And 3 more for the plastic inner handle part.

You end up with this.image

Remove toyotas leather. Just pull it off. Once you have pulled off the edges it should come off quite easy. Toyota used crappy glue.

There is actually a layer of foam between the leather and the plastic of the armrest. Try and keep the foam attached to the leather. You will see why later.

Once your at this point it's easy to pull off

imageimageimage

sperate the foam from the leather. You will need a knife for this. A sharp one. The foam can be fragile, it's thin and probably 20 years old.

Cut along the seam of the leather on the inside. Like this and pull it off. Again Toyota glue is crap, you should end up with 3 pieces of thin foam.

You end up with this

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Now for the glue.

Of you do a test fit now you might see why I removed the foam. It looks fine but it's not as tactile. The foam gives it a nice squidge.

So. Spray a bit of glue on the armrest and stick down your foam. Do it bit by bit and don't go overkill on the glue.

You will find there is a bit of overlap. Trim it off. The glue doesn't stick well if you have armrest-foam-leather. But armrest-leather sticks fine.

This is the only issue I have had so far. This area is tricky. It couly do with more leather overlap. As you can see there isn't much to work with. Although it does stretch a little. This is unstretched.

The previous pic was just a test and unglued.

Once stretched and glued you get a bit more to play with

It's quite simple from here just spray each pannel of the armrest and lay the leather down. Make sure the seam is in the correct place and is strait. You might need to tug it arround but you should have plenty of time before the glue dries.

Ends up like this.

There are a few bumps and ares that need to smooth out. But that will happen later...

At this point you may find it beneficial to order a pizza. I'm going for a pepperoni and a side of chicken dippers.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

This is the only issue I have had so far. This area is tricky. It couly do with more leather overlap. As you can see there isn't much to work with. Although it does stretch a little. This is unstretched.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/25/9aja6ary.jpg

The previous pic was just a test and unglued.

Once stretched and glued you get a bit more to play with

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/25/ete7e9y4.jpg

It's quite simple from here just spray each pannel of the armrest and lay the leather down. Make sure the seam is in the correct place and is strait. You might need to tug it arround but you should have plenty of time before the glue dries.

Ends up like this.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/25/5u2u5eta.jpg

There are a few bumps and ares that need to smooth out. But that will happen later...

At this point you may find it beneficial to order a pizza. I'm going for a pepperoni and a side of chicken dippers.

nice work

maybe you should think about doing it on a regular basis for the guys who are not very good at art and crafts...

I recently purchased the same bits from the same company (see my project thread link in my sig)

I fitted my armrests OVER the original leather. Also, I simply stapled mine, rather than glueing it. It allowed it to be stretched taught, and is easily removable if I decide to go back to stock colours.

I also got: Gear shift gaitor, handbrake gaitor.

I did my centre console cover ages ago (again, from TopGaitors) and did the same (staples, no glue) and although it was stiff to close to start with, is fine now it has worn a little/compressed the leather.

Good thread though. I have been pointng people towards them for a while. Great quality, and worth the pennies (in the great scheme of things) that the parts cost.

Nice work mate, I've had these items on my 'watch list' for months now. I know that their gear gaiters have always been of really nice quality, but I was a bit apprehensive about how well these parts were likely to fit.

Now I've seen yours, I think yet another eBay purchase is on the cards :thumbs:

What gearshift gaiters did people go for in the end. I was looking at the standard leather and the CF one's. Has anyone got any pictures of what they choose to post up, with minimum chatter to keep Guigsy's thread clean.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/25/e7utunuv.jpg

Looks great, I saw Mplavery say about these ages ago and wondered what the finished look would be like :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...