The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Considering Buying a supra - Anyone know this car? Or possibly voice an opinion.

Guest Big T

EDIT

I have decided against buying this particular vehicle due to the response to this thread.

I will leave the original thread here so discussion can continue

EDIT

Hello Chaps,

Despite not having a huge post count on this forum (think I've been around for nearly a year now) I am an active member on other motor based forums (mainly classic mini) and am very aware that you probably get questions like this once a month, possibly even more than that, so apologies in advance. How ever not personally knowing any current or previous supra owners this forum is my only source of knowledge.

I am looking for a new car, I have been for a while and I would love a TT6 but my budget just doesn't allow for one but I still have a look through various sites and see what is out there.

I have found a Supra that I keep thinking about, now I don't have money in one hand with my keys in the other itching to get out the door and buy it, I've found pretty poor decisions are made in those positions so I am just looking for a bit of advice from some other members regards the car.

It is a N/A Manual which has been converted to a TT at some point whilst retaining the original 5spd N/A box.

The car is in need of some TLC but all of which I feel I am perfectly capable of sorting.

The car is MOT'ed and Tax'ed, here is a quick spec run down.

Blitz SUS air filter

XS power front mount intercooler

Iridium spark plugs

Full Decat with restrictor ring

Walbro fuel pump

HKS FCD

Top Secret skirts

oem rear spats

TRD quickshift

Isotta gearknob

Silver painted dash

EL Glo dials

Alpine Screen/Entertainment unit - has jack for ipod/mp3 player

audiobahn speakers

Kakimoto racing exhaust

Front strut brace

Black carpet

The car is advertised on ebay, some of you may have seen it. Auction number 261334564389

The car is up at £4,950 but states offers.

Could anyone with some better supra knowledge (which is probably everyone on the forum) as to weather this supra is an ideal entry into Supra ownership or should be avoided like the plague?

If it is something worth buying what sort of questions should I be asking regards the engine swap? I know there is a sale guide on here which I read a few months ago when I was looking at buying which I can refer to but I was wondering if there would be anything specific to a converted motor.

Any help, suggesctions and comments are more than welcome, even if they are "run a mile"

Thanks

Edited by Big T (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies guys.

To be honest I had my doubts about it otherwise I would not have made this thread. regards the gearbox and transfer standard.

Unfortunately If I was to go tor a TT auto to get the one I would want it would but me in R32 GTR territory (don't know if GTR talk on here is blasphemy? sorry if it is) which unfortunately is probably the route I will end up going down.

I've seen better condition cars for that money. Plus that will most probably have the W58 box which will be on the limit now.

If it was me, I'd be looking elsewhere :)

IMO people only say this because they have not had a TT with a W58.

I have an NA-TT on a W58 at BPU. It had been this way for 3 years before I had it, and I've now had it for 2 years.

Craig (Dr_J) can vouch that I don't drive like a pansy, and it copes absolutely fine.

A W58 will last on BPU, so long as you don't do silly things with it ie. hard shifts, drag starts etc

Also, plenty of people run NA-t on a W58 at circa 400bhp.

Admittedly, it isn't the best box for a Supra, but treat it right, and it will be fine.

For £5k, you could have a pretty good car there. Give the engine bay a steam clean, and that's that sorted.

IMO people only say this because they have not had a TT with a W58.

I have an NA-TT on a W58 at BPU. It had been this way for 3 years before I had it, and I've now had it for 2 years.

Craig (Dr_J) can vouch that I don't drive like a pansy, and it copes absolutely fine.

A W58 will last on BPU, so long as you don't do silly things with it ie. hard shifts, drag starts etc

Also, plenty of people run NA-t on a W58 at circa 400bhp.

Admittedly, it isn't the best box for a Supra, but treat it right, and it will be fine.

For £5k, you could have a pretty good car there. Give the engine bay a steam clean, and that's that sorted.

I didn't say it wouldn't last, I said it will be on its limits :D. Just incase the OP was to buy the car and throw more power at it etc. Justin Bieber is running the most power through a W58 box I think :D

Dr Doom has had several W58's iirc. It's about how they are driven but I would personally rather see a car as the manufacturer intended unless you are particularly handy at fixing things.

The car from the OP has me walking away. If the pictures cause alarm bells then a personal inspection is not going to improve matters.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)

On a quote me happy dyno at Santa pod it put down 500bhp at the fly and 450bhp at the wheels, that was on hybrids!

So you don't know how much then? I was putting 427fwhp and 430 lbsft torque through mine for about year until I stripped the car. Id be interested to see if anyone else is making more torque than that and using the w58 box.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I have decided to leave this one and keep looking. Possible previous accident damage does not really concern me providing this is reflected in the price, the seller is also not including the wheels in the sale which is not the end of the world of course but when you're asking £5000 for a vehicle it could at least be provided with wheels.

The condition of the car is not enough to make me walk away, I have certainly taken on worse and turned out better but the price of £5000 for a vehicle requiring so much attention is enough to make me walk away.

Costs for bringing this car up to standard would put it in the ball part of a decent TT6.

The R32 is a great car and I for one would have either, the build quality and interior standard is much higher in the Supra, as mentioned I would look at a nice TT Auto BPU, possibly the best combination IMO

I have been told that the Supra is a far nicer place to be. I am currently in talks with a chap about a R32 GTR locally, I just find the supra far more visually appealing.

Truth be told, I have no interest in a auto supra, its just the word auto puts me off so much. I guess I may actually have to find someone local to me who has an auto and ask if they can take me out it in to make my mind up on them, I am probably being a little stereo typical here!

This car was a members on here... It had loads Of aftermarket parts on it.

A multiple banned member purchased it, Took all the good stuff off and is trying to sell it on ...

Nice one Keron! Think that's the nail in the coffin!