The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox Oil -- Motul Gear 300

Jellybean

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-899-motul-gear-300-75w-90-racing-gearbox-and-differential-lubricant-100-synthetic-ester-based.aspx

Just changed the oil on the gearbox, huge improvement; much easier to change gear, smoother and not as notchy

Definitely recommend it

Bring 3 litres

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

Few guys running it on here well before me , I never read anywhere people having issues with this oil, I did read of people using mtf specific fluid (redline)causing excessive wear

If you are sceptical just get the Toyota oil, I don't to be blamed if anything happens :)

I just read the spec of the oil and recommendations from other members , made a decision to run it

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I just put in synchromax royal purple people been using that for years as alternative, but me being me I also just bought the original stuff from whifbitz very expensive. I'm saving it for when I start my engine build.

yeah i see people are saying they get reviews and really helps with the notchyness of the v160. just looking at the internet (probably not the best idea) but getting reports the V160 oil is ATF based where the motul is 75/90 weight. Works well but can caused alot of wear inside the box.

Typically this wouldn't bother me as i'd just rebuild the gearbox, doing my glanza lsd while we speak. but i can't get the parts for the V160 and a replacement unit is extremely exspensive, £6k etc

Tim

:)

People must make their own minds up. I prefer EP oils in gearboxes and differentials (or transaxles) and to hell with additional friction. But you may find additional synchro cone wear if you are not sympathetic and rush the changes with cold oil. Anyone who has driven a Ferrari 308 / 328 will know what I mean, they are dogs when cold, but a fair gearbox once the oils warmed through.