The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just to say hi :-)

Guest Lauren3101

Guest Lauren3101

Just signed up!

I don't actually own a Supra yet but after a lot of deliberation it's what I've decided to get next. I currently drive an MG ZR 160 (no booing please).

I don't know very much about Supras and there seems to be a lot of different ones and huge variations in price, so I'm just having a nose around and reading the guides.

Nice to 'meet' you all! :)

Lauren

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lauren!

Welcome to the club:)

You've come to the right place for info and guides.

What kind of supra were you looking for?

Twin turbo/Naturally Aspirated

Manual or Automatic

Hardtop of Aerotop

Anyway, if you pay the £10 membership, you can browse our classifieds section where you will find some of the best examples in the country:)

All the best!

Josh

Guest Lauren3101

Hi Josh, thanks! :)

Manual is a must have, and they don't seem to be that common? I'd love an Aerotop but if I'm honest, it's not really an issue either way, and I'm not sure if my budget would allow for one.

As for the turbo, I really don't know! I've been told that the turbos are a lot more unreliable, I don't know how true that is. But at the same time, I bought the 1.4 MG ZR first and about a week later wished I'd bought the 160, and eventually got one, so I'm sure I'd do the same here, lol.

I'd be interested to hear opinions, comparisons and recommendations on the two! :)

welcome

if your into performance then a TT is a must, i suppose there is more that can go wrong but if its looked after they are reliable...If you want the supra for looks and not bothered about performance then I suggest going for an N/A as a TT will cost you a min of 4k(it wont be perfect), N/A are cheaper and a aero n/a will not cost alot either. Like josh said pay the £10 membership if you are serious, there are plenty of cars on the forum for sale

Guest Lauren3101
welcome

if your into performance then a TT is a must, i suppose there is more that can go wrong but if its looked after they are reliable...If you want the supra for looks and not bothered about performance then I suggest going for an N/A as a TT will cost you a min of 4k(it wont be perfect), N/A are cheaper and a aero n/a will not cost alot either. Like josh said pay the £10 membership if you are serious, there are plenty of cars on the forum for sale

Thanks, I will get the membership.

I do like a quick car, I get bored easily, so performance is quite important.

I have around a £7k budget. Is that realistic do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Hello, welcome to the nut house. All applicants must be nuts :) :)

Phew, that's handy. ;)

Hi Josh, thanks! :)

Manual is a must have, and they don't seem to be that common? I'd love an Aerotop but if I'm honest, it's not really an issue either way, and I'm not sure if my budget would allow for one.

As for the turbo, I really don't know! I've been told that the turbos are a lot more unreliable, I don't know how true that is. But at the same time, I bought the 1.4 MG ZR first and about a week later wished I'd bought the 160, and eventually got one, so I'm sure I'd do the same here, lol.

I'd be interested to hear opinions, comparisons and recommendations on the two! :)

hi Lauren

7k can buy you a very nice twin turbo auto (don't under estimate the auto aha), reliable when maintained and around 360/400bhp when BPU'd (you de cat the exhaust and a few other stuff)

whoever told you the turbos are unreliable is a nob head. unless mapped like crap

For £7k, you can get a good NA-TT (a naturally aspirated supra, that has had a twin turbo engine put in it) 5 speed manual.

Or

A TT 6 speed manual, that will need work doing.

Or

A good NA-t (naturally aspirated with a turbo bolted on, put simply) and change.

Or

A very clean TT auto.

Or

An NA aerotop, with enough change for a TT conversion ;)

Welcome Lauren.

I started with an NA manual and kept if for three and a half years before I went TT. None of these cars are unreliable even at their ages now. With a TT there is more to go wrong but my TT has been solid for the last three years.

Have a good think and drive a few different cars before you take the plunge. There are unfortunately some serious dogs out there so finding a well cared for example will not be easy. Patience is everything.

H.

Welcome Lauren, there is a meet next Friday night at bluewater and there will be all variants there from NA/TT/single turbo and auto/manual transmission.

Can't believe the usual suspects aren't here yet (ed, ben and graham :p )

I was the comment before you mate :D

It was quite a sensible one too, I need to lay down.

Guest Lauren3101

Some good advice here guys, thanks very much!

I am painfully aware of the fact that I will be going from a small, fwd, 160bhp car to something very different! But the turbo is calling me...

I'm absolutely gutted about the meet, Bluewater isn't that far from me but it's the only day I can't do! When is the next one? And would there by any small chance be someone there kind enough to let me have a drive of their na supra?

Welcome to the club Lauren. There's plenty of info and lots of routes you can go with the supra, there's even some v8 supra out there which is a whole different box of crazy.

Either way get your membership sorted and get reading ;) any questions feel free to search and ask

Hi there, I went from a 1.4 mg zr to a TT supra, For me TT was a must, the sound of the turbo spooling is the best sound ever. I've had the car 3 years now and I'm sooo glad I went for a TT, it's been so reliable apart from needing a new alternator, but that's expected with age. As long as you pick up a nice clean well maintained example and make sure you maintain it yourself, it should be reliable, I know mine is :)