The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cold Starting issue na-t (fuel pump not priming or immobiliser issue)

ballsdeep

Hey guys, I'm having a slight issue with starting the car from cold, and with winter here I'm missing using the remote start to warm her up.

Basically it takes a few seconds to fire up and I sometimes need to use a little throttle to get her going, the strange thing is if I instantly turn the engine off and restart it fires instantly??

A little bit about the car, its na-t with 7mgte 440's in and using resistors but I had these cleaned and tested so i was hoping I could rule these out.

What I'm not sure about is If I should be using a fpr, doing the fuel pump 12v mod or get a fuel pulsation damper thingy..? No idea what benefits if any these would make?

the last thing Is Iv already tried swapping out the ignition coil but it didn't make much difference, is it worth trying another ignitor or does it sound like a fuelling issue?

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

seems most NA-Ts ive read about seem to have cold starting issues. Wasnt Bergs issue with his dizzy bolts? might be worth a check.

Have to be honest.. mine starts perfectly from cold. Absolutely no different to when it was stock NA. It idles fine as well. That's with Emanage Ultimate on 650cc high impedance injectors. Lyndon (Nodalmighty) mapped mine for me. I know nothing about mapping cars so I will take it as a testament to his skills. :)

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

My original cold start issue was related to the map which i took it back and had sorted and runs perfect whatever the weather now

Was running a bit lean on cold start so would misfire and run crap for a few minutes then was fine.

I never had a problem starting the car though so seems you have a different problem to what i had

My recent problem was loose dizzy bolts which caused the top end misfire

Its all fun and games lol

So I might have found the cause?? Though I would try turning the ignition on and off a few times hoping it would prime the fuel up enough for it to start first time but as I'm doing it I realise I couldn't hear the fuel pump noise I usually hear?

Is there any tests/checks I can do to confirm this?

So I might have found the cause?? Though I would try turning the ignition on and off a few times hoping it would prime the fuel up enough for it to start first time but as I'm doing it I realise I couldn't hear the fuel pump noise I usually hear?

Is there any tests/checks I can do to confirm this?

I must admit ive never heard my fuel pump prime, i read somewhere they do not prime with ignition, you have to crank it

A way of testing its working though is to bridge pins +B and FP in the diagnostic port (use a short piece of wire) then turn the ignition on (position 2) oh make sure the car is de-immobilised, then you should hear the pump start

Maybe im just deaf, i do have all the factory fitted junk in the boot still along with a subwoofer so might deaden the sound a bit

Test as above for peace of mind though, does the car run ok when it eventually starts? ruleing out possible ignition timing not set correctly?

Why don't you bridge the 12v supply to fuel pump ecu and check? I never heard my fuel pump run before I did it so it could just be the fact it's only running minimal voltage.

Going back to the error code, my rubbish failed map from dyno tune caused a cel and the same error code plus that "misfire" check it's not the señsor first obviously.

Could it be the fact your pump is only putting out 9v on start combined with 440 jets it's taking time to get enough fuel into the ports hence the slow start. I am surprised you haven't done the 12v fuel pump mod already using a relay. Might be a good start if it's starts first time with it done.