The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox issues help please!

slugger1

I have been having some issues with the car recently. The symtoms are that when it is cold if you put your foot down the car almost holds back then will suddenly burst into life (sometimes causing the rear wheels to spin). It will also do this when the engine is hot but to a lessor extent.

Not knowing exactly what the problem might be I took it into Eurospec in Guildford and they checked the car over and advised that there didn't appear to be any issues with the engine but thought it might be the gearbox (it's a TT auto by-the-way). Their first course of action was to change the gearbox oil and filter. This has been done but has made no difference at all.

Could there still be other areas of the gearbox that need to be addressed? Any advise welcome!

I had this earlier in the year (or sounds the same)

When you say "holding back", do you mean the revs get "stuck", it burbles a bit like it cant breathe, and then all of a sudden kicks in?

If so, it's a vacuum pipe leak somewhere I think. I never got to the route of the cause, so replaced all the vac lines, and the problem went away.

I had this earlier in the year (or sounds the same)

When you say "holding back", do you mean the revs get "stuck", it burbles a bit like it cant breathe, and then all of a sudden kicks in?

If so, it's a vacuum pipe leak somewhere I think. I never got to the route of the cause, so replaced all the vac lines, and the problem went away.

Yes it does sound similar to what you describe. Was yours worse when the engine was cold?

• 3 weeks later...
Could be your torque converter playing up

I managed to get hold of a second hand autobox and torque converter (thanks Kraig) and had these fitted yesterday. Driving from cold today the issues were exactly the same as before so I suspect it wasn't the box or torque converter that was the problem! Maybe the vacuum pipes or something else?

Is this from a standstill, or whilst driving along? Speed/ Engine RPM? Manual hold or in full auto? More info needed...

It tends to be much worse when in lower gear or from standstill when the engine is cold. Also when the engine is at temperature if you put your foot down you can feel that it is not pulling like it should (occurs in higher gears). Full auto mode not manual hold.

And if it has an FCD I would temporarily bypass it and see what happens. If nothing helps there I would get it on a rolling road with some diagnostics attached. Did you say it has no fault codes stored? Verty hard to diagnose engines by e-mail, you need to get an actual feel of things from the driving seat, IYSWIM?

When I took it into Eurospec in Guildford they said there was nothing wrong from that side so I assume they didn't see any fault codes. Not sure whether to take it back there or not because they didn't exactly fill me with confidence!