The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LPG Supra for sale...

Gaz Walker

I cant understand why each and every time someone posts questions about LPG all they get are negative responses. Surely if you can have your cake and eat it too its got to be a good thing. Maybe it wouldnt work with the Supra, but its worth the question, surely. If I could drive my Supra on fuel that costs, what is it 35p ish, then I would be freakin well happy. If I cant then so be it.

Matt

Thats my rant done and I feel better for it:innocent:

Originally posted by Manic

I cant understand why each and every time someone posts questions about LPG all they get are negative responses. Surely if you can have your cake and eat it too its got to be a good thing. Maybe it wouldnt work with the Supra, but its worth the question, surely. If I could drive my Supra on fuel that costs, what is it 35p ish, then I would be freakin well happy. If I cant then so be it.

Matt

Thats my rant done and I feel better for it:innocent:

But isn't the Supra a performance car????

Paul

My post is really saying, IF you could drive your performance car with no detriment to that experience(or the long term health of your car) and it cost you the measly sum of 35p ish then wouldn't you do it, or would you rather pay 90 odd pence per litre and put your hard earned money into the governments pocket.

I know what i would do IF it was viable.

Matt

Originally posted by Supragal

I'm sure that it's a small % of people that can and do drive flat out everywhere, in which case, when you're not you may as well save money surely?

The reason I have thogut about it, is that exact reason.

I bought my car with 76,000 miles on it. In just under 3 years I have put 83,000+ on it.

A rough calculation on fuel I have put in him is £14,343.

Petrol 92p (average) per litre

Miles per tank = 320 (average)

If I was using LPG, using the same formulae and fillup amount etc as above, it would be as follows:

LPG = 35p (average) per litre

Fillup = 60 (average) litres

The money burned from my wallet would be: £5446

So the comparison is 1/3 the amount.

For normal driving you use LPG and if you wanna blow people away you switch over to the petrol.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't always use the speed...?

The conversion charge is what £2,000..? well if you add the cost of that to the sum above, its still less than the gross cost of the fuel.

Sorry end of rant.

OK, assuming:

90p/l for Optimax

35p/l for LPG

Mileage of 4.5mpl on both fuels

Cost of £1500 to fit

Then it would take you just over 12,000 miles to recoup an outlay of £1500 to get gas fitted.

For some people that may be less than 6 months so actually it's more viable than I thought. Assuming nothing goes wrong with it and you can get gas and you don't mind the lower range and drop in power :)

Matt has a good point about the octane rating though, on an NA it should be OK, a TT might well tear itself apart, especially if non-stock in any way. I wouldn't like to try and stuff a can of octane booster into the gas tank :D

-Ian

PS I did this while you were doing your post Oxy, seems like the figures are similar :)

for the power the Turbo has amazing fuel efficency really. Although it does annoy me when you think TT have roughly 100BHP more and my NA does just 2-4 mpg on average better, rather have the power!!lol

A TT car id be more skeptical bout doing it. On a NA i cant see no loss to it. No turbo charge to worry bout and like Oxy says switch to petrol when you want more power.

Does LPG actually improve your mpg or is just cheaper as too the benefit.

ohh and also in a car like a supra you'd make your money back much quicker due to low mpg in first place

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

Does LPG actually improve your mpg or is just cheaper as too the benefit.

LPG gives lower miles per gallon but the gas is cheaper so it still costs a lot less than petrol. The other thing you have to watch out for is the lovely government sticking a 3 year escalator on LPG tax to bring it 'in line' with other fuels - I fear they have such plans afoot.

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

LPG gives lower miles per gallon but the gas is cheaper so it still costs a lot less than petrol. The other thing you have to watch out for is the lovely government sticking a 3 year escalator on LPG tax to bring it 'in line' with other fuels - I fear they have such plans afoot.

-Ian

Fair nuff, has anyone got an idea how much lower it is...