The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Making money from a small investment.....

Jamesy

hypothetical question;

If you had say £5,000 to do something with to try and make money where would you put it or what would you do with it - small nest egg situation.....?

Same question if you had £15,000 and again with £50,000?

Just interested really, certainyl dont have £50k to play with lol but its a slow day at work and i need some brain engagement!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id stick iT in property, having 3 property already, we rent two, and live in a 4 bed detached house. Tenant pays the mortgage, i make a profit per month, job done. plus at the end when you pay it off, or sell you make a huge profit

I do the same - however the taxman takes 40% of my profits......so I net close to 3-4% on the investment.

id stick iT in property, having 3 property already, we rent two, and live in a 4 bed detached house. Tenant pays the mortgage, i make a profit per month, job done. plus at the end when you pay it off, or sell you make a huge profit

As long as the interest rate dosen't go up to 15%like it did when thatcher was in, buying and renting a house out is good.

This government will just wait until everyone gets their 'help to buy morgage' sorted then the interest rate will go up.

Tricky with just £5k though. That could mean a high LTV on a property in West Sussex.

Tricky with just £5k though. That could mean a high LTV on a property in West Sussex.

wasn't just 5k though, 15k, or more he said.

So property would be my ideal investment, or nest egg. At some point property value will increase again, just my opinion though :)

yeah good shout re proeprty - with £5k you'd stuggle to get much in the way of a buy to let mortgage as a 1 or 2 bed flat round here by a station is around £150k so im guessing you'd need at least £15k as a deposit!

Would really love to have a couple of places rented out but its a big risk getting it up and running and you need to make sure you have enough cashflow incase repairs are needed and/or its not rented for any time.

What about more exciting stuff, more high risk stuff?!

* I'm thinking all on RED on the roulette table :D

* You could probbaly buy yourself a couple of used cars and start trading

* Start a little business

etc etc

Depends what excites you really. You'd have to enjoy doing it to make it worth the risks. Short position 3-month spread bet on Royal Mail, at £100/point? :D

talk to me - WTF does this mean :D

It's a bet that the Royal Mail share price will go down. Spread betting companies will quote you a price range (or spread, hence the name) where they think the price will be somewhen in the future. These are made-up numbers, but suppose that RM's price is currently 550p. The betting firm might quote a spread of 540-560p for the price in, say, March 2014. If you think it'll do worse than that, you can bet that the price will go down by "selling" or "going short" by £x per penny of share price movement.

If you sell that spread at £100/point, you get £100 for every penny the share price drops below 540p. Make sense? If it drops to 500p, you've gained £4k. But likewise you would be punished if the share price moves up.

It wasn't a serious suggestion: unless you're interested in share price movements, it's a dull way to make a mint or lose the shirt on your back. :D There are complicating factors like setting up stop losses, closing the bet early (e.g. you can "cash your chips in early" and you'll get out with whatever profit or loss you've incurred), etc.

It's a bet that the Royal Mail share price will go down. Spread betting companies will quote you a price range (or spread, hence the name) where they think the price will be somewhen in the future. These are made-up numbers, but suppose that RM's price is currently 550p. The betting firm might quote a spread of 540-560p for the price in, say, March 2014. If you think it'll do worse than that, you can bet that the price will go down by "selling" or "going short" by £x per penny of share price movement.

If you sell that spread at £100/point, you get £100 for every penny the share price drops below 540p. Make sense? If it drops to 500p, you've gained £4k. But likewise you would be punished if the share price moves up.

It wasn't a serious suggestion: unless you're interested in share price movements, it's a dull way to make a mint or lose the shirt on your back. :D There are complicating factors like setting up stop losses, closing the bet early (e.g. you can "cash your chips in early" and you'll get out with whatever profit or loss you've incurred), etc.

thanks mate - i am genuinely interested in all this stuff, just such a minefield to ge tinto without a little slush fund behind you for the bad times :D

I wouldn't bet against Royal Mail shares in the run up to Christmas! :D

Not necessarily true. Share prices go down because companies do worse than is expected. It's expected that Royal Mail will get a lot of business around Christmas, so that should already be priced in to the shares.

Sometimes you'll read about a company making £x'00 million profit. The share price will fall if it's less than the analysts were expecting.

hypothetical question;

If you had say £5,000 to do something with to try and make money where would you put it or what would you do with it - small nest egg situation.....?

If I had £5,000 spare then I would divide it into 5 pots of 1k and have a splash on the stocks and shares. If you play with the shares that are only a few pence each then when they go up and down then you make (or not) accordingly.

You can also conduct day purchases where you buy in the morning and sell 1-hour or 4 later and make 50 quid or something. You can lose it too but the point is that you've got five independent pots and therefore your risk is not tied to just one.

Cost of buying and selling is 10 quid a pop; 20 quid total.