The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox off, now flywheel bolt help needed plz

Fly

Hi guys. Sorry to ask I've been searching but it doesn't really tell me what I'm after.

I spent today fitting my new discs and pads/ spacers then attempted to get the gearbox off for my new clutch and fly.

I'm pretty much there besides the two top 17mm bell housing bolts (I used the guide from us supra forum)

How do you get to the two top bell housing bolts?? I can barely see them never mind get a rachet on them?!

Gearbox is a v161 but the bell housing bolts I think are all the same.

Thanks

Ahhh those two!

You need to remove the fan shroud, loosen the top radiator hose, undo engine mount nuts, tilt engine back towards bulkhead (thus giving you visibility of said bell housing bolts), then get lots of extensions all pieced together or one very long extension with the socket on the end and go from the tail end of the box to reach along to the bolts. We used about 1 meters worth of 1/2" extensions on the last one I removed :D

Edit - by engine mount nuts I mean the ones that secure the bottom of the mount to the subframe!

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

Cheers rich, these bolts are a pain. Is it just a case of removing the engine mount nuts or do I have to pull the engine from the mounts? Ile dog out plenty of extensions tomorrow then!

- - - Updated - - -

Cant remember a great deal about mine but i did it while the head was off, all bolts were easily accesable and had no problems at all

Maybe do yours while you have your head off to do the tt gasket?

Not abad idea too. Thanks mate

Just to clarify.... I mean undo the nut on the very bottom of each engine mount i.e the one you get to from underneath the car. The engine will still be resting on it's mounts just as it would normally but allows you to tilt it back a little. I am not saying remove the engine mounts lol! You can even just undo the nut to the end of thread rather than fully remove if it makes you feel safer. I actually know someone (I won't mention names ;) and no it's not me) who drove around for a short while without those nuts on the bottom of the engine mounts even on - but definitely don't get doing that :D

Is it safe to tilt the engine back with the mount nuts removed? Personally id loosen them. The engine will be unstable tilted with no mounts attached. Arnt the mounts designed to tilt anyway? Let us know how you get on.

They are designed to tilt yes, removing or slackening the nut from the very bottom of the engine mount where it goes through the subframe allows it to tilt further. I don't mean remove the engine from the engine mounts.

Edited by Rich.2211 (see edit history)

Just to clarify.... I mean undo the nut on the very bottom of each engine mount i.e the one you get to from underneath the car. The engine will still be resting on it's mounts just as it would normally but allows you to tilt it back a little. I am not saying remove the engine mounts lol! You can even just undo the nut to the end of thread rather than fully remove if it makes you feel safer. I actually know someone (I won't mention names ;) and no it's not me) who drove around for a short while without those nuts on the bottom of the engine mounts even on - but definitely don't get doing that :D

This is what worked for me, it was still a ball ache removing the box and I would not advise doing it on your own!

I mean ball ache literally, I dropped the box on my nuts. Boy did that hurt :(

They are designed to tilt yes, removing or slackening the nut from the very bottom of the engine mount where it goes through the subframe allows it to tilt further. I don't mean remove the engine from the engine mounts,

No disrespect intended mate. Im not doubting your abilities. Just trying to clarify for anyone in future. Myself included buddy.

I mean ball ache literally, I dropped the box on my nuts. Boy did that hurt :(

:taped:

I haven't dropped a gearbox on my man tackle but I did undo the complete exhaust system from the first cat whilst lying under the car, forgot to support it and it bounced off my head. Oh and my other special moment came when I decided to fill the box up with fluid before fitting.. completely forgetting it would come straight back out the tail end without the propshaft in there.

Right guys thanks for the help, I managed to find enough extensions to get to the bolt, what a real pita!!!

Anyway I went to fit my lightweight cc flywheel with the stock bolts but they are too long. If you look at the picture you can see why, the new flys center section is recessed and not as thick as the dual mass.

Anyway does anyone know the size/ type of flywheel bolt I need for this, I thought the rap ones were smaller but Paul tells me they are the same as stock. Thanks again guys.

And new clutch

so i went to measure the bolts this morning, used a caliper for accuracy, when i got back i realised i had no idea what unit of measure they were. im guessing about 45mm, can anyone using a comp clutch or after market flywheel confirm what bolts you used? thanks

Edited by Fly (see edit history)

so i went to measure the bolts this morning, used a caliper for accuracy, when i got back i realised i had no idea what unit of measure they were. im guessing about 45mm, can anyone using a comp clutch or after market flywheel confirm what bolts you used? thanks