The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet finally on, opinion about fitment

Dim Sum

Okay got my bonnet back and here are the images of the fitment

imageimageimage

Just wanted to ask what do you think. is the fitment okay?

Another thing was, when I was driving back doing abour 60-70mph i noticed the bonnet seems to lift a little, is it because its fibre glass and its light?

It latches into the original locking points with no problem. Or am I over worrying :(

Edited by Dim Sum (see edit history)

It obviously does not look right and by this post I dont think your happy with it - what was the fitment like on your old bonnet was it the same as it is now. Looks to me like either the bonnet is out of line or your bumper is, Has that been off at all recently. With the gap being quite wide on the drivers side is probably why the bonnet is lifting.

Yeah, you are spot on, I am not 100% happy with it.

Its my bumper that is off :D When I got the bumper, it had a giant hole on it and when i repaired it I forgot top make sure it was level so its a little off.

The bumper aint been off at all since fitting the front mount which was last year and the bonnet was fitted today.

I brought it off a member here, he said its from Knight Racer, its the carbon one. I had it painted, to be fair the fitment aint' that bad, but I just wanted to see what other members think.

Because I had come custom work done on the wings maybe the wings a little off because of that.

That doesnt look the best fit in the world, and it will lift on the drivers side due to the poor fitment.

I would get aerocatches fitted otherwise it could make a bit of a mess when it comes off.

If you look to sell I'm sure there are many on here who would take it, aerocatch it and just accept the fit is a bit squiff. I know I would certainly buy it as it has always been my favourite bonnet.

As said you can jig about with the bonnet/bumper and wings to sort the gaps out. My Ridox carbon used to deform all over the place, especially at motorway speeds (going past lorries was worst). Looked like it was about to fly off, but never did. I ran mine without catches, and my glass fibre Abflug one before that as well. You don't "need" them, just gives you peace of mind.

I didnt want to start cutting holes in a £1k bonnet lol

As said you can jig about with the bonnet/bumper and wings to sort the gaps out. My Ridox carbon used to deform all over the place, especially at motorway speeds (going past lorries was worst). Looked like it was about to fly off, but never did. I ran mine without catches, and my glass fibre Abflug one before that as well. You don't "need" them, just gives you peace of mind.

I didnt want to start cutting holes in a £1k bonnet lol

Okay, thank you for the piece of mind.

Well I have gone and ordered some areocatches now.

Going to fit them on and I made my mind up if I want the bonnet or not.

Adjusted the wings and the gap is much better now. Might get a few pictures in once the areocatches arrive.