The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New diff fitted, 1st impressions

bignum

So today i fitted my auto diff(tomei plate lsd),(thanks to Keith from scotland), driveshafts and prop,took approx 3 hours in total with a bit of messing about cleaning up the driveshafts etc.

1st impressions after a little drive round my test track are good, as the ratio is different i have to change gear more often but the acceleration is savage even on low boost and the gears seem more usable now with less lag:eyebrows:

Also the backend seems more planted now, i don`t know if there`s more grip with this lsd but when it does slide its got loads more feel and controllability (is that even a word?).

The real test will be at donington next week, snow permitting , i think the car will be more suited to tighter/twistier tracks yummy.

Got to agree Si, the clutch diffs are a different level to the Torsen ones. The biggest difference I noticed is the same as what you mentioned, power slides are so much more controllable with the clutch diff, it's so much easier to keep your foot on the power and let the diff pull the car back into line. This doesn't happen so smoothly with the Torsen. For sure it can be a bit more snappy and tail happy but with your driving sklls I don't think that will ever be an issue.

Did you configure it 1.5 or 2 way? I am considering having mine changed from 2 way to 1.5 as it's a rather lairy lifting off the power going into a corner in the wet... That may be the driver more than the car that's the problem, but I'm having trouble getting used to it.

Ah the 2 way thing, as far as i know the tomei can only be 2 way and tbh i can`t see how you can change the trd to 1.5 as the ramps are set.

All Supra TRD diffs are 2 way, only certain models like the toyota vitz have a switchable 1.5/2 way :)

I have gone from the Carbonectic 2 way to an Aristo diff, big difference ; the car is unpredictable, more so in the wet with the torsen diff; traction is an issue too

The 2 way , I found I had more control over the car, you can get the power down earlier, predictable in the wet. Over a power upgrade I would definitely get a 1.5 or 2 way LSD

Can wait till I get it back in the car