The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vented bonnets and rain

Dim Sum

Okay since we are coming to winter now, its going to rain and snow and etc.

This is a question for people with vented bonnets like the TS bonnet and etc, are you worried about water getting into the bay?

I know some of us have garages to put the supra under but what if you don't, what do you guys do?

Do you prevent water from going into the bay or do you not worry about it?

I am only asking because I have a TS bonnet coming back from the bodyshop to get it sprayed and then I realised about the water getting into the bay.

The bodyshop guy suggest maybe stick some aluminium tape over it for winter.

Just want to hear from ideas.

Perspex will melt.

There was a large post on here about how many of the vents actually reduce the efficiency of the cooling of the under bonnet temps.

One thing to do is remove the heat guard stuff all together as this retains water really badly. Then what i have done is resin bonded a piece of galvanised plate under the vent, with the information about the vents not aiding ventilation.

Im going to spray them black and think it will look fine :)

Found a pic:

This is the type of bonnet I have in the bodyshop.

When I was thinking about the perspex it be fitted outside of the bay ontop of the mesh.

I wasn't planning to fit heat guard stuff back, well it never had any in this bonnet.

But thank you for your suggestions, any idea are better than none. :)

http://www.autoextreme.co.uk/image/data/auto-extreme/carbon-parts/carbon-bonnets/supra-ts-bonnet/supra-top-secret-bonnet-04.jpg

Think it all depends exactly where the vents are and where the water will drop onto

I'm getting a abflug on soon and hoping the large vents will just run off between the rad and engine

But unsure where the smaller outer ones will drip

That one in the middle will drop straight onto your engine and fill the spark plug chambers with water, just like mine was doing!

Think it all depends exactly where the vents are and where the water will drop onto

I'm getting a abflug on soon and hoping the large vents will just run off between the rad and engine

But unsure where the smaller outer ones will drip

Thats the bonnet I have. Rain will get on the rad, a little on the air filter and front of the rocker cover...