The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lovely set of lights in for a refurb

Scott

Got another set of lights in for refurbishing from a member. Very good condition ones overall so they will come up an absolute treat once finished. One appeared almost brand new other than the odd mark and a slight coating but even the not so good one was still in good condition. Managed to make a good start tonight, got them apart and gave them the lenses the ole refurbaroo. Couple more passes and these will be mint (literally), time to chill though so will get back on it tomorrow. Anyway, enough blah blah I'll let the pics do the talking :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=176968&stc=1&d=1384200522

attachment.php?attachmentid=176969&stc=1&d=1384200361

attachment.php?attachmentid=176970&stc=1&d=1384200361

attachment.php?attachmentid=176971&stc=1&d=1384200361

2013-11-11 17.49.48.jpg

2013-11-11 17.49.42.jpg

2013-11-11 19.23.14.jpg

2013-11-11 19.24.12.jpg

Couple of better pics :)

Funnily enough, the slight discolouration on the passenger side is actually the chrome rather than the lens. I hadn't noticed before but the chrome loses it's colour, it's only when compared to a nearly new light that it's obvious :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=176972&stc=1&d=1384201086

attachment.php?attachmentid=176973&stc=1&d=1384201086

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

stunning scott, how long do you take masking off the chrome rings, i still cant get the hang of it! what tape do you use

Takes ages mate, absolute PITA but it's important to get it right. I just use regular masking tape, I believe it would be considered decorators masking tape... the white-ish stuff.

Between the tape, a scalpel a swear jar and a box of plasters I generally get there in the end :D

ah i see, i shot blast my insert, then i used the halfords chrome paint, bonded well and did buff up to a very good finish, then when i masked off to do the rest satin black the tape had issues with the chrome paint, even though i used a low temp industrial oven to bake it, left marks in the bezels (rings) but does look ok.... do you just reuse the factory black sealant or a bead of mastic also?

Not really sure what you mean. UK headlights are generally spotless... so wouldn't need refurbishing, I would have thought anyway?

The inserts on mine could do with a touch up in places, I'm out the country at the moment but will grab a pic when I'm back to show you what I mean

The inserts on mine could do with a touch up in places, I'm out the country at the moment but will grab a pic when I'm back to show you what I mean

I think Charlton means repaint the insert chrome?

Ahhah. That's not something I can do unfortunately. Chrome paint is very hard to come by and even harder to apply. The normal tins of the stuff don't look particularly good.