The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do you drive your Supra in Winter?

ccssupra

So I've only had my Supra a month and a bit, and with the cold setting i would just like a bit of advice.

So its my first "special" car, every car I've had before I've used in any condition as they have all been modern and truth be told I Havnt really cared about them.

I'm not really concerned about the extra danger while driving in snow / ice etc but more about the engine and chassis (grit etc).

Its currently using 10w40 oil, but I want to keep this car in as good a condition as possible, should I just get a little rat to run over winter? Or am I just being silly?

Edited by ccssupra (see edit history)

I just use mine make sure it's undersealed I also use thinner oil in winter too. At the end of the day it's a Toyota not a fragile Fiat with a prancing horse badge

Yeah, im just thinking its 20 years old and I dont want to shorten its life really!

This has never had underseal by the looks, but actually has very little rust, my S14 on the otherhand was undersealed and still rusted away!

I wouldn't worry about being over protective. It's lasted this long fine so a few more winters won't hurt. They don't suffer with rust issues.

Be careful though, they can be quite lively in the wet - I took mine out today and lost the back end in 4th today!

If you haven't searched RLTC yet then have a look, great for a daily runner.

Although I try and use mine at least once a week all year round, it normally stays put in the snow! Although last year my daily needed stuff for MOT in Feb so I had to use my soop for a week or so, as long as your careful as others have said, should be fine :)

Not a bad idea getting a little corsa though if you have enough time, space and cash to maintain another car.

Although I try and use mine at least once a week all year round, it normally stays put in the snow! Although last year my daily needed stuff for MOT in Feb so I had to use my soop for a week or so, as long as your careful as others have said, should be fine :)

Not a bad idea getting a little corsa though if you have enough time, space and cash to maintain another car.

Im thinking SORN the Supra, trade the tax disc in and swap the insurance over to the Corsa. Should keep costs down really and then just sell the Corsa for the couple hundred quid in spring and put tax back on the supra!

Im thinking SORN the Supra, trade the tax disc in and swap the insurance over to the Corsa. Should keep costs down really and then just sell the Corsa for the couple hundred quid in spring and put tax back on the supra!

sounds a pain to me- but I ain't very organised! I wouldn't want to not run any car for months just because lack of use doesn't really do any car any good, but that's just me ;)

Get it on the track lol:D

Dan likes this :D

I have literally just done the exact same thing. Makes sense to me as I can sell the run around on for the same money if not more next year. Quids in :thumbs:

They're fine in the snow too, so long as you have an LSD and winter tyres.

On that note, I really would recommend winter tyre's on any heavy RWD car during the winter period, IMO it should be a legal requirement as it is in most of northern Europe. The difference between winter and summer tyre grip in cold/freezing weather is astonishing.

They're fine in the snow too, so long as you have an LSD and winter tyres.

On that note, I really would recommend winter tyre's on any heavy RWD car during the winter period, IMO it should be a legal requirement as it is in most of northern Europe. The difference between winter and summer tyre grip in cold/freezing weather is astonishing.

And I have an auto with open diff!

I would go winter tyres but I can get another car for the price, so to me thats the better option to be honest! (even though I wouldn't be able to drive the Supra :( )