The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK Spec Brakes or Big Brake Kit?

Hassan

Hi im looking to upgrade my jspec brakes. Im only ever going to use the supra on the road. And im not going to take it any higher than 550bhp.

So would the UK spec brakes with uprated discs, pads, brakelines and fluid be enough for my needs or should i be looking at KSport 8pots etc etc?

For the road you don't really need anything more than UK spec brakes, hell even Jspecs with descent pads and fluid and you will be ok.

I use 8 pot Ksports on my track car (8 pot on the fronts and 4 pot on the rear) mainly because I had them lying about from my other Supra and decided to pop them on to see how the performed when I was breaking the old car rather than sell them on.

I have nothing bad to say about them to be honest, as long as you have descent pads, fluid and tyres then there isn't much in it IMO. I would say the performance is the same as the UK's (I used to have UK's) but you get a better initial feel from a BBK over the UK's brakes which tbh I found to be pretty Numb even on a non servo assisted system like I have. One of the main advantages to me was the unsprung weight saving over the UK's, but that wont apply to you.

I am not sure why Ksport get such a bad wrap on here, I do think there is a little bit of "brand" snobbery in there somewhere... yes they are budget and yes they are made in China but they are fit for purpose. The alloys used are of the same grade as some of the bigger brands and to be honest are probably made using the same or similar patterns/machinery as they use in the more expensive EU based factories.

Put it this way if I thought that the Ksports were made of Ham and cheese then there is no way I would have risked using them on my track car heading into tight bends with hardly no runoff at 150mph+.

I will be looking though to change my BBK soon and will be going with the Whifbitz AP racing setup that they used on their Race Supra's for spares availability reasons but for now the Ksports I feel are more than up to the Job.

For you though, UK's will be fine.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

For the road you don't really need anything more than UK spec brakes, hell even Jspecs with descent pads and fluid and you will be ok.

I use 8 pot Ksports on my track car (8 pot on the fronts and 4 pot on the rear) mainly because I had them lying about from my other Supra and decided to pop them on to see how the performed when I was breaking the old car rather than sell them on.

I have nothing bad to say about them to be honest, as long as you have descent pads, fluid and tyres then there isn't much in it IMO. I would say the performance is the same as the UK's (I used to have UK's) but you get a better initial feel from a BBK over the UK's brakes which tbh I found to be pretty Numb even on a non servo assisted system like I have. One of the main advantages to me was the unsprung weight saving over the UK's, but that wont apply to you.

I am not sure why Ksport get such a bad wrap on here, I do think there is a little bit of "brand" snobbery in there somewhere... yes they are budget and yes they are made in China but they are fit for purpose. The alloys used are of the same grade as some of the bigger brands and to be honest are probably made using the same or similar patterns/machinery as they use in the more expensive EU based factories.

Put it this way if I thought that the Ksports were made of Ham and cheese then there is no way I would have risked using them on my track car heading into tight bends with hardly no runoff at 150mph+.

I will be looking though to change my BBK soon and will be going with the Whifbitz AP racing setup that they used on their Race Supra's for spares availability reasons but for now the Ksports I feel are more than up to the Job.

Great info here cheers. I am considering a big brake kit at the moment and was a little weary of the K-Sports but after speaking to Paul about them, he rates them to be very good. I will be using my car for fast (private) road mainly with the possibility of occasional track use.

I'm BPU for now with the thought of going single next year so I'm kind of weighing up the options now.

Great info there thanks. I had Ksports on my aristo 8pots in front and 6pots in the rear. And tbh i loved them. The stopping power on them would rip my face off and they had zero fade on the road. I used them from 185 to 0 plenty times without any issues at all. Great brakes.

As far as build quality goes they are just as good as the big brands. They are made in tiawan which has much stricter quality control. And the brakes are actually designed in japan. So they are off very high quality.

The only reason im not rushing to buy ksports for the supra is because the aristo weighs 300kg more than a supra so it needs extra braking power. But as for the supra i have a option for a full UK setup so ksports might be overkill for my needs.

Edited by Hassan (see edit history)

Someone once told me that drums by design are a better brake but they are very on / off

Thats not really true. Think about it brakes produce alot off heat. But drum brakes are inclosed in a 'drum' so the shoes in the drums can not cool down fast enough. So you loose braking and brakes just fade away. As for a disc brake. The disc is in direct contact with air so when you use them they can cool down alot faster. So you get alot less fade and alot more braking force. Thats why F1 and every other motorsport use disc and not drums.

I would go UK over KSport 8 pots every time.

Unless you are spending proper money for Brembo, Alcon or AP I wouldn't bother.

+1

All of those manufacturers do Supra specific kits. Brembo do several types for the Supra, which all perform well, and look amazing.

I have Tarox 6 pots to go on mine. They are replacing jspec calipers with CW fast road pads. I will let you know what I think about the difference once fitted, scheduled for 18/11/13.

Hopefully I will be making Chris green with envy at not spending more of CJBT's money. Or as I

Prefer to put it, his inheritance! :D