The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom TT air box for fmic

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, I thought I'd put a couple of pics up of something I've been playing with over the last couple of evenings.

I haven't found an air box solution that will work with a TT and fmic pipes. So thought I'd make my own.

I didn't take any pics of the plug that I made, but here's one of one side moulded, and the other side in gel coat

The box mould is now complete, so tomorrow I'm planning on laying up the two halves to create the box itself, then I can take a mould for a lid

The orientation of the pictures shows it the correct way around. The plan is, to cut a square hole in the front, and mount a panel filter upright, against the inside face, so it can draw air through the front, from behind the o/s headlight. Then I'm going to mount an adaptor plate to the back side, that will link up to the intake hose.

I'm hoping it'll work well, and keep the engine bay heat away from the intake air stream.

I'll update as I progress, and welcome any comments that might help :thumbs:

Ah, see I didn't realise the stock box would fit - maybe its different as my fmic pipe comes across at more of an angle, and I'd rather not modify it.

Glad to see that the stock box is an option if it all goes wrong though!

I'm going to get it made up anyway, as I like doing things a bit different ;)

Hopefully it'll work :cool:

Managed to get the moulds finished, and now have a completed box. Granted, my moulding techniques aren't the best - something I need to work on ! :(

Here's how it'll end up, i'm going to cut a square hole in the front, so it draws air from behind the headlight

The outlet adaptor will be fitted to the back, to link up to the intake pipe

Now, originally, I had planned to put the filter here - with a bracket to hold it tight in place. I'll be getting a k&n panel filter or something similar

But i'm now thinking about putting it here instead - purely because it'll be easier to mount.

What do you guys think about filter placement ?

If you mount it at the back like the bottom pic wont you just be sucking air through that small inlet tube.? think it would need to be at the front. I have a big K&N cone filter in a stock air box. put a 4" pipe into the box and get the biggest filter to fit in your box. if you go on the K&N Website I found louds of difront sizes. The part no for the one I fitted is RC-1620 I put mine on to get rid of the HKS mushroom. I yoused the HKS pipe and the K&N filter.

Edited by clay (see edit history)

No offence intended here but aren't you just replacing a perfectly good fully functioning

airbox with another airbox.

I'd be inclined to make the fmic pipework fit around the o/e air box and then you'd have

the perfect set up for a TT

Looking at your pictures it wouldn't take much to do and then you'd have 2 cold air feeds

coming into the box

No offence intended here but aren't you just replacing a perfectly good fully functioning

airbox with another airbox.

I'd be inclined to make the fmic pipework fit around the o/e air box and then you'd have

the perfect set up for a TT

Looking at your pictures it wouldn't take much to do and then you'd have 2 cold air feeds

coming into the box

No offence taken bud.

I don't want to cut my ic pipes, I like that there aren't loads of joiners and potential leak points in the pipe setup as it is. Especially as any cut I make, won't leave a nice beaded end.

Also, aesthetically, I think the pipe where it is now looks neater than say a stock hose, that looks rubbish.

As you might also have noticed from my threads, I like to make little custom parts, so it works for me to do stuff like this. Granted, if it doesn't work, I'll bin it and call it a lesson learnt, but if it works, I think I'll have found a nice solution instead of a work around.

On top of that, j spec oem air boxes are pretty hard to find. I haven't seen many come up for sale, and making my own costs me nothing ;)

I also see what you mean about the cold air feeds, but they're pretty narrow by all accounts, and mine will have a much bigger surface area - without anywhere near as much heat soak as an induction kit. There is a fairly nice gap under the o/s headlight, that I think will provide a fairly good input of fresh air when moving.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but trying something different

Regarding the cold air feeds they supplied my UK spec with no issues at 1.25 bar and 420 flywheel

hp.

I actually made my own airbox years ago but i couldn't beat the o/e box so it went in the bin and i

just made my own hard pipes to fit round the o/e airbox, they didn't have beads on them and never

blew off but i did use Mikalor hose clamps

Regarding the cold air feeds they supplied my UK spec with no issues at 1.25 bar and 420 flywheel

hp.

I actually made my own airbox years ago but i couldn't beat the o/e box so it went in the bin and i

just made my own hard pipes to fit round the o/e airbox, they didn't have beads on them and never

blew off but i did use Mikalor hose clamps

The stock air feeds are probably more than adequate, what I'm saying is, I don't think that mine not having them will be of any detriment - with regards to flow through my box.

I also think the stock setup looks somewhat clumsy and bulky, whereas I'm planning on a mild tuck to make the engine bay look a bit tidier.

Glad your setup worked for you with the stock setup, but wouldn't it be a boring world if we all done the same thing :)

I would look at mounting the Air filter in the middle with some way of just sliding it in.

I like the look of this airbox aswell i think it looks really clean

Cheers bud, thats what I was thinking at first, but I'd need to ensure the lid sealed the filter at the top when fitted, to stop contaminated air being sucked in. I'll keep playing with it, and see what happens :)

Had a bit of a play around with it after work today, and realised that I've been over thinking the setup.

With less being more, I figured my universal induction kit - in a rather fetching red, would probably work better

So it now looks like this:

Now being happy with how it'll end up, I chucked a bit of primer and satin black paint on, and meshed the front intake hole

The filter sits nicely inside, so it should act as a good heat shield to help with air inlet temps :)

Ill get it fitted tomorrow after work, and stick some final pics up