The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t overboost and AEM tru boost problem

ballsdeep

I'm in desperate need of some help, I'm booked in next week for a remap, it's now the third time and I'm not getting anywhere!

First remap it was struggling to build boost - turned out to be a loose intercooler pipe coupler.

Second remap resulted in overboosting to which I was advised it was my hks copy wg, so I went for the precision pw46 and installed a 4.5psi spring. But I'm still seeing 8.99psi on my aem tru boost gauge/controller that's only at half throttle upto 3500rpm

Upto now Iv tried to disconnect my solenoid and turn off the controller running it straight off the spring but I'm still seeing around 8psi

What else could it be?

Edited by ballsdeep (see edit history)

Why is the brake vac pipe disconnected?

I take it the spring is intended for that specific wg?

You have a decent pipe from the intake side to the wg?

Maybe bypass the boost controller altogether for a test and run a decent size pipe from the turbo pressure side to the wg and see if that stops the boost creep

If not , remove the wg spring so it's effectively gonna be wide open and see if the bypass pipework is capable if flowing enough to stop the turbo over spooling (I doubt at such low pressures this is the problem, usually only occurs nearer 1 bar)

I'd just had the mani off to do my injector resistors, that's why the vac pipe was off. :thumbs:

The springs installed are genuine precision ones and when I pressure tested it it worked perfectly.

Should I have a vacuum hose going from the inlet manifold and T'd into the wastegate?? Because I don't..

When I had the hose going from the turbo compressor to the side port of the wg the gauge stored 8.99psi

Cheers pal that's how I had it on the way home but it made no difference, could a cracked manifold or split vacuum

Hoses have the same affect?

I have the same setup as FOSTA using one of these but on the inside there is a grove where the 2 flanges meet I'm wondering if this could be restricting the exhaust flow?

image.jpg

Its a difficult one because I can't actually push the car hard enough to test it properly so all I can do is gingerly accelerate upto 3500 then check the highest boost stored on the gauge. Now what I'm not sure about is if it was mapped and I was accelerating WOT would the gauge very briefly show let's say 8psi but then flicker around the spring pressure of the wg?

Just a quick update, tried a longer hose straight from the turbo compressor to the wg 5mm silicone hose, but with no luck so next course of action replace the hoses I changed for silicone ones back to stock and check for leaks? Then remove the spring and put in the 1.5psi one. :shrug:

It reads manifold pressure to the ecu which basically determins how much fuel to add

Only reason i ask is when i wired my map sensor wrong on my emanage ultimate, the car ran pig rich and light throttle would send the boost gauge to like 20psi massive overboosting (map sensor wire on the emanage was wired to the temp sensor on oem ecu LOL)

But when it was rectified it ran perfect and has never overboosted

Again i guess its a case of checking the vac hoses to that

Can't hurt to give it a go, feel like Iv tried everything else..

I don't know if its contributing to the problem but I'm now wondering if my aem tru boost gauge/controller is faulty too? Since Iv had it Iv never been able to adjust the spr setting lower than 6.9ish psi instructions say to set it 3psi lower than the wastegate spring??

Ive never touched my AEM tru boost gauge/settings so I don't know who to use it lol, I just put the 4.5psi spring set up in the wastegate and took it for a drive and it opend at 4.5psi so I just left it and Ryan turned up the boost by the gauge when he was mapping it so I havnt had the need to touch it lol. So that's the bit I can't really help you with sorry. But I did here of another member that had a faulty solinoid but I don't know how it his was, ican remembeg seeing a few videos on YouTube on how to check to see if its faulty or not by a few tests. Should have alook if your unsure about it working correctly. But first I'd try and get it to open at the correct pressure without the tru boost connected to the wastegate :)

Hope you get it sorted soon bud!