The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anything over BPU - what fuel do you run your car on?

1JZGTE

I guess what I'm trying to understand is how happy the Supra is running on regular unleaded. I know that some Jap cars are very sensitive to it (Impreza P1 for example) but what about the Supra?

If it's tuned and mapped for regular unleaded then that's fine, but anybody here running BPU or higher and running it on regular unleaded?

:)

Why? I just simply wouldn't risk it unless in an emergency and even then you should fill only limited 95 Ron to get you to the nearest 97-99ron fuel station. The overall cost isn't really that much more is it and skimp now and you could certainly end up paying later.

As above the price isn't really that much more unless you drive like a hooligan all the time and do mega miles it's not going to break the bank really. I run mine on a mixture of V-power, Tesco 99 and normal unleaded but mines a UK spec and is mapped to run on 95 in the first place. But mine is stock so not much use to you :D

Tesco momentum or Shell V Power for me. No issues and running a single at 1.2 bar boost with just short of 500 bhp at the wheels.

That's what it was mapped for though right ? Problem with BPU if your using the standard ecu is that it isn't mapped to a particular fuel.

There is an article in TopGear this month on Premium vs Regular Unleaded fuel.

I quote " if they are high-performance jobs with high-compression and high-revving engines, the higher octane could be of benefit".

I would certainly be using 97-99 minimum on J-specs.