The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those Supra's step out easily dont they?

Getrag

Was testing a standard jap TT 6spd today. I accelerated very gently away from a roundabout then as the road straightened up I gave about 60% throttle in 3rd. I got that casters-for-rear-wheels feeling as the back end did a little dance sideways. Collected it very easily but still makes the pulse race. Was dry but a bit greasy. However, I think the standard crappy jap rear tyres were a big factor. Does anyone else find this - is this what I should expect from everyday ownership?

On another note, there were a couple of faults I wonder if anyone can explain. The central locking didnt work, the dipped beam sometimes worked, then sometimes didnt and finally, the engine light came on mid test drive. Could these all be related? Cheers, G.

Originally posted by Getrag

Does anyone else find this - is this what I should expect from everyday ownership?

I certainly find this with my TT. In damp conditions I can get wheelspin easily up to and beyond motorway speeds.

In my opinion, it's one of the best things about the supra that you have to be constantly aware of the power you're applying, the road conditions and road surface.

The car was completely standard apart from looks. The rear tyres were also mis-matched with yokohama on one and some unknown jap brand on the other (I know this is a big problem and the guy said he would change before sale). The slide was so gentle, not a tyre squeeling drama, almost like ice. I know why everyone says be careful in the wet now :eek:

This is the car, with toyota kit and wheels:

http://www.mackaytrading.co.uk/fullvehicledetails.asp?BodyType=9&ID=28952&intMin=Any&intMax=35000&blnCommercial=&RSpage=5

I was in the car the other day :) not drove it though

The drivers door doesnt sit right.... push it shut, doesnt quiet shut, needs a good push.

There is overspray round the front (looks like bumper has been sprayed), scrape on the rear 1/4.

I got offered 6k for my GTSt against it :)

Kye will prob fix everything you notice before (if) you get it though. I got my silver one from there. Got all its wee probs fixed before hand :)

Must admit I thought all their cars were expensive. Especially if they've had damage or bits not working!

As to stepping out - I got a nasty surprise in mine this morning which scared the crap out of the missus!

Nice thing is, everytime it's done this, I've still felt totally in control and a quick flick of the wrists sorts it out.

Yeah, I did think it was a bit overpriced for the current market.

Originally posted by Adam Kindness

The drivers door doesnt sit right.... push it shut, doesnt quiet shut, needs a good push.

There is overspray round the front (looks like bumper has been sprayed), scrape on the rear 1/4.

Kye will prob fix everything you notice before (if) you get it though. I got my silver one from there. Got all its wee probs fixed before hand :)

I noticed those things too and your right, Kye said he would fix them - seems very helpful indeed. So many Supras to look at....

The current market is all over the place with all sorts of examples going for all sorts of prices.

I'm guessing importers are bringing quite a few 93/94 models over now they're out of the over 10 year old no need to SVA age. sva info

I'd say the price is the higher end of the scale - where it should be faultless.

If you're not entirely happy with it, don't buy it, there will soon be another one along.

Where are the deails of yours Adam?

(Just realised you used to hang out at corsasport.co.uk didn't you?) Less said the better I think.

If the door doesn't sit right, then it sounds like the shunt was pretty serious. I'd get it thoroughly checked out first.

The engine light sounds like the classic brake fluid one. Basicly if the fluid isn't pretty much maximum then when you floor it, it sloshes round & tells the car it's low!

Get him to fill up the brake fluid to max, then if the light still comes on...panic!

With good tyres even in these conditions ( low read temps and damp) unless you apply power in a corner:eek: you should be fine. Treated with respect the TT is OK in the wet. Old hard mismatched tires will have you sliding every where.

I have set of beatup 18 drifting wheels, an probably not even street legal jap rubber but hard as nails, used them one on the road once on damp November weekend, could hardly manage any round abouts unless I drove it like a milk float.:D

The faults you describe sound like bad wiring. sounds like a walk away at that price. If is a recent import, the Jap owner may have stripped out the mods and left the wires in a mess behind the dash. Not uncommon IMHO.

Door wont shut properly – front end damage = walk away.

Oh yes - seen the Photoshop Wheels thread.

Corsasport - I was an 'original' poster when Ian first started the board. Had a '95 Silver GSi, 16" alloys, Magnex 6x4 oval, PiperX, few other *tasteful* mods! I loved that motor... but not as much as the Soup tho' ;)

Went to Sheffield when they did the Redline photoshoot and a couple of other meets.

One of the last items I read when revisiting was your post "Quad Turbo Supra Photos" and you'd put your knackared turbo's in the passenger foot well! LOL :D

I did a surprise 90º spin coming off a roundabout the other day. As it was dark I couldn't see that the road was covered in mud cos the twats making T5 at Heathrow hadn't cleaned their wheels properly after coming off site. That's illegal isn't it? If I'd crashed would I be able to put the blame on them?

Originally posted by hogmaw

That's illegal isn't it? If I'd crashed would I be able to put the blame on them?

No, you have to take responsibility for your own actions when you drive. If you spun on mud, it was your own fault for going too fast and not noticing the change in road conditions.

Its not the end of the world, just a huge process to find the right one
Keep looking m8. It's tempting just to go for something because you're desparate for a Soop, but it sounds like this one's a bit shifty.

As far as the back end goes, I think that RLTC should be an SVA requirement for big HP RWD's in the West of Scotland. I can't remember the last dry day we had (when it wasn't icy!).

If you want to have a look/drive of mine to compare stuff just give us a shout. :thumbs: