The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New and looking at going NA-T

Guest Boostjunkie

Guest Boostjunkie

Hi all

Felt abit silly signing up as I don't have a supra lol, however I'll be selling my car soon and looking to get one after ages of waiting to be a proud owner. Now Ideally I want a 6 speed tt but the extra price they ask for seems to high for me so I was thinking of going 5 speed NA-T as I like external gates with screamers and the kick of big single turbos as I feel a tt auto will be too smooth and not feel as fast

Now I'm a mechanic so fitting etc is no problem, I'll be looking at the 400hp range (must be as quick as my old car lol). Now I've done a fair bit of research but there's just a few more things I would like cleared up before going this route over tt auto.

- Would the whifbitz kit running 0.5 bar be reliable and solid on a totally stock NA apart from me updating the clutch.

- are the loss of oil squirters really going to effect reliability in the long run

- could I just get away with a TT head gasket and arp's and upping the boost more without changing pistons?

- finally what's the best ECU to go for rather than piggy back as from what I read the na gets a big timing advance at 4.5k rpm and likely to cause DET

Overall I would be looking for a strong bullet proof reliable 400hp maybe later on push more (with r154), if I did get tt pistons/HG/ARP's could I run 500hp reliable for example as I understand GE has same crank and rods as the GTE. Lastly would a 400hp na-t be able to compete against a bpu tt in a straight line.

Thanks

Guest Boostjunkie

Ok the main thing I'm worried about is oil squirters, I'm getting mixed views some say doesn't matter and others seem to think its a bad idea turbo'ing without oil squirters, just looking for confirmation on actual na-t owners and there experience

You will find a few people who run big power 2JZ's running NA bottom ends to eradicate the oil squirters among other bonuses(cost etc).

I think I saw Jamie P post saying that there was a discussion as to whether the oil squirters unbalanced the piston at high power/high revs.

Guest Boostjunkie

I know big turbo ones don't run them however I would imagine there forged pistons and probly only run 1/4 miles at a time where as I'll be doing a lot of road use and wouldn't want excessive temps going on

I really can't wait to have a supra, pretty certain of going NA-T and starting a new project :)

Edited by Boostjunkie (see edit history)

No worries at all mate! They're a good strong lump, with potential to take decent power:)

Read through Rich.2211's NA-T thread. That's someone who's taken the time to do it right, without spending a huge amount and he recently ran a 12.9 1/4 mile @116mph -whilst only running 7.5 PSI of boost!

I believe the stock internals are good for circa 700-800bhp, so you shouldn't need forged rods/pistons etc:)

You need to expand on that comment, and explain new bearings would be recommended for over 500 and also a lower compression. Many variables to consider, though many standard recommendations have been beaten or ignored without fatal results.

Guest Boostjunkie

I understand above 400 I will need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and sufficient intercooler and lower the compression, I was thinking of going the route of TT headgasket and arp's to lower and aim for a bullet proof 400+ Ideally (don't want to strain to many internals as I would want to keep this for along time)

I understand above 400 I will need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump and sufficient intercooler and lower the compression, I was thinking of going the route of TT headgasket and arp's to lower and aim for a bullet proof 400+ Ideally (don't want to strain to many internals as I would want to keep this for along time)

I'm running 400bhp with stock injectors, stock fuel rail, stock fuel pump, stock HG. In a nut shell I just bolted a turbo on turned the boost up to 6.5psi. The only extra was fitting a Custom Front facing inlet manifold (FFIM).

If your on face book click on the link below in my signature, its a page called team na-t ran by a few members on here :)

I'm running 400bhp with stock injectors, stock fuel rail, stock fuel pump, stock HG. In a nut shell I just bolted a turbo on turned the boost up to 6.5psi. The only extra was fitting a Custom Front facing inlet manifold (FFIM).

If your on face book click on the link below in my signature, its a page called team na-t ran by a few members on here :)