The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Previously unseen Supra headlights

j_jza80

I've just noticed something unusual about the Zent JGTC Supra. The headlights are quite clearly marked 'TRD HID HEAD LAMP KIT'. Is this something that was available to buy? and if so, was it just the HID bulbs/ballasts, or did it include these unusual headlights/inserts?

A set of these would really freshen the front end of the Supra IMO, and would be a good alternative to the Abflug ones.

Since that isn't actually a Supra, it's entirely possible they're not Supra lights.

True, but then why bother with the TRD HID stickers?

They look like inserts of some description to me, but obviously it's likely that they only resemble Supra headlights. But why change the design from the stock look if that's the case?

True, but then why bother with the TRD HID stickers?

They look like inserts of some description to me, but obviously it's likely that they only resemble Supra headlights. But why change the design from the stock look if that's the case?

Weight saving maybe?

It could be that the lighting units themselves are the TRD product I suppose.

Do you mean because it uses a 3S-GTE instead of a 2JZ-GTE?

Or because of the extensive chassis & body modifications?

If it's not a Supra, what model of car is it?

It's a race car that looks like a Supra. The chassis hasn't been modified, it's been built bespoke from the ground up.

It's a race car that looks like a Supra. The chassis hasn't been modified, it's been built bespoke from the ground up.

Not from what I've read. There were actually lots of regulations not allowing them to modify the original chassis layout, engine location, engine orientation(hence why they had to rotate the 3S-GTE engine to keep the cylinders running front to back like the 2JZ) or suspension configuration.

They were however allowed to move the suspension inboard(as they were allowed to move the mounting points) to reduce un-sprung weight. Regulations also made them move the fuel tank to within the wheel base, which in turn allowed them significant modification of the rear suspension, resulting in the rear suspension be moved to an inboard set up similar to the front. The only modification to the chassis(that were allowed) were the ones to accommodate the new fuel tank location.

Edited by st3ven1
Spelling. (see edit history)

But, if that is the case, then what are these headlights? they seem to be on a lot of the later JGTC Supras, so they're definitely not a one off.

I wonder if they would have come as a part of a kit from TRD specifically for the race cars?

That is absolutely stunning.

Most of the JGTC/Super GT Supras had that style of headlights.

But most of the cars were like the American stock cars - resembling the road versions mainly just in looks.

Now THESE are sexy headlights, probably even rarer though;

http://racecar2.web.fc2.com/fNCRCsupraHVR21.jpg

Yes - very interested about Nic's opinion on that HID topic.

There was a HID kit available through TRD - they sometimes turn up on ebay for a lot of money.

But it's just the ballasts and the bulbs...

That's the very one I remember hearing about.