The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone buy from JIC Car imports?

Ambrose7

Hi guys, i was just wondering if anyone bought their supra from JIC ?

i bought my Jspec TT from them last year, and was pretty happy with it, but then when i tried to go back to them to disscus the 3yr warrenty they sold with it, i discovered they had gone bust. this was slightly alarming as they had my car booked in for some replacement parts to be fitted.

since then ive had all the work done by someone else, i was just wondering what to do now tho as ive just found out my sup has suffered a front end shunt sometime in its life and they sold it to me as 100% class A condition, free of any previous shunts, now im looking for either some money back or a new supra.

what do you guys think? sadly i personaly dont think ive got a leg to stand on, but i just wanted to check with you guys first .

thanks

Once the company has been liquidated AIUI, all warranties and claims about condition end there. Although there was a rumour that the warranties were still valid, as they had been taken out with a seperate company, but don't quote me on that :)

Sorry to hear you've got problems with your Supra. Hope the damage isn't too severe, although in JIC's defense, it can be virtually impossible to determine whether a car has been in an accident, in some cases, if its been well repaired. It really all depends on the severity of the crash.

Without knowing the full history of the car, they were just guessing. Stupid thing to do really, but a lot of people will shun cars that have been involved in an accident, even if they are repaired to as new condition. So they tended to tell people what they wanted to hear.

I don't condone it, but it goes on a lot in the motor trade, especially with imports that have no traceable history :(

Unless its severe and makes the care unsafe, I'd just put it down to experience and enjoy the car as it is.

If its never going to be safe/straight, maybe it'll get stolen when you park it near your mates house on that dodgy estate near to you ;)

hey geoffvalenti, yeah the warrenty was with AON motorplan so hopfuly thats still valid, im going to phone them today to check. if not i might have to park it in the hood and hope some hommies take a liking to it:p

its not major damage, but the underside at the front is a bit creased up. still a lovely car tho.

yeah Dave i used to use Revs abit when i moved from my 106 to my sup, dont really go on much anymore, unless im checking their chick pics forum:p

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

I think you'll find the owner had health problems and had to close, nothing more sinister than that.

Nothing sinister in the demise of JIC. Tim (the owner) moved abroad to warmer climate after suffering a stroke. I always found him a nice guy and IMHO he'd never knowingly have sold a dodgy car. He used to just give you the keys and say away you go, enjoy yourself. Not normally the behaviour of someone with something to hide :)

A lot of it can be put down to we, the owners, demanding impossible to source service and accident history before we will part up with the cash.

When other dealers are making outlandish claims to sell cars, sometimes you've got to say the same, or not sell stock.

Just read some of the descriptions by the major importers. They are really laughable. Probably never smoked in, probably owned by a mature owner, probably never had an accident, probably never thrashed.

How the feck do they know, they just asses the condition and make educated guesses and then tell the buyers what they want to hear.

No-one wants to buy a car previously owned by a chain smoking speed freak, who only knows 2 positions on the throttle, and is on first name terms with the body repair shop, but then again, who wants to own one thats done the first 40000 miles driven by a doddery old git, who never goes above 30 and never gets the car warm on his trip to the shops and back every day, and although he's never seriously hit anything, he's managed to scrape or dent every panel :)

Its a difficult situation all round, but one that we have to put up with if we want to drive around in (japanese) imports

I went to JIC first of all when I was looking for my Supra.

I saw a silver 1994 with 44k miles for £14,000

They phoned me when it came in and I went to look at it. It had been pranged on every panel and was scratched to buggery.

They said "Oh it will be as good as new, after it has come out of the body shop."

At which point I said I wasn't interested and they got a little funny. I had put down a £500 deposit as well and they were reluctant to give it back. I have had problems with cars that have been body shopped after prangs etc and had nothing but aggro and didn't want to go there again. :confused:

But it was also the thing they wanted £14,000 for a car they marked as A1, that had actually had body work done on it and may have been involved in an accident.

Originally posted by Ambrose7

know what you mean mate, i saw a single turbo there for 19k, was scratched up like hell! i paid 15k for mine, feel riped off, but that will only happens once.

DOH! :eek:

Yeah I bought my 1st Calibra 1.5 years before the Supra. The paintwork looked fabulous, then one day as I weas cleaning it, paint flakes started to come off (note: I wasn't using any form of abrasive cleaner) and then a big sheet of paint fell off, onto the floor, revealing filler galore.

I was more than P!$$£D!!!

SO now I will stay well away from cars that may have had any body work done or if the paint looks 'too' good

I always wondered what happened to JIC, thanks to them i got the MKIV Supra bug!!

Around this time last year, I was interested in getting a Jap car, it was a toss up between a Celica ST205 GT4 or a Supra TT, I actually had my heart set on a 4wd but didn't want a Scooby cos every1 had 1, but when getting a used car of some age the complexity of the GT4 and my never ending urges to modify the cars i drive made me think the GT4 might prove a headache in the long run especially once i got it to a performance stage that would begin to satisfy me.

Anyway spoke to guys at JIC and they said come down whenever for a testrun.

I assumed i'd be after a 6speed manual but was intrigued how good the Auto would be, i turned up pretty late on a Sat with my girlfriend, but they still let me have a decent test drive in an Auto and a Manual.

I couldn't believe how well i got on with the Supe, especially the Auto! and car didn't feel as big and bulky as i thought it would, i was sold!!

The only quibble i had is the car i was gonna buy off them had been supplied but an importer my mate got his Skyline from and they'd put a £4000 mark-up on it!!!

By the time i'd sorted out stuff with insurance etc, couldn't get in contact with them, ended up buying mine from a dodgey prestige car dealer in Berks, i could see mine had had a little paintwork in the past, but was sound, well enough repaired, HPI clear and at the right price!

I had a JIC Supra with a 3 year warranty.

It was a seperate warranty - nothing to do with JIC other than they got a kick back for introducing you to their scheme.

Look in your warranty book at the certificate... Mine had a Motorplan cover I think.

It doesn't matter that the car seller has gone bust as your warranty shouldn't be with them!

Like my post wasn't long enough anyway!!

Meant to read: the car i was gonna buy had been supplied BY or FROM an importer my mate got his Skyline from based in Folkstone as i'd seen the car there when it had arrived a few weeks earlier!!

I'm thinking the 4grand mark-up must pay for a decent enough warranty scheme (which is obviously independant of JIC, most used car warranties are these days)

The only problem you might find is in the small print, as to what your actually covered for.

Had what was apparantly a comprehensive warranty on a Lancia Integrale i once owned, anyway the timing belt snapped and took a few valves with it. Having checked the warranty cover listing timing "chains", i assumed this would cover belts to, silly me, assumtion makes an ASS outta U and ME!!:eek:

I think I got the last ever car sold by JIC. They had already shut up shop, moved out of the premises, etc...

Got a good discount on the car and they still threw in the 3yr warranty. It is with AON Motorplan, but its not really that great a deal. It only covers you for 'unexpected failure' of standard parts and the replacement thereof. Don't know about you guys, but if anything goes on my baby, it gets replaced with nothing but the best. That and I've probably replaced the part before it goes with some OEM aftermarket part anyway!

As for getting money back... I don't think you've got a chance unfortunately.

Yea, ive just been fucked over, JIC put in my warrenty book it had next service due 9k miles on from the last, just phoned the warrenty telling them id had that done, they said its ment to be 6k, ffs they just voided my warrenty, it was mr fucking JIC who set that 9k gap.

I'm in the same situation as you, they were meant to sort my speedo out (properly instead of how they sold me it!) and the warranty, although still valid, is pretty weak.

All JIC cars had a platinum warranty IIRC

Just suck it down, nothing you can do now unfortuantely.

That said, they seemed nice people.