The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First set of lights for furbing

Scott

Got my first set of lights in for re-furbishing now that I've had the go ahead. Going to get to work on them over the next couple of days, during which time they should be in for quite a dramatic change.

The lights are in reasonable condition. Very yellow, obviously, but other than that they are pretty good. The odd little mark here and there, as to be expected, but these should look fantastic once finished.

So, here are the "before" pics.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176098&stc=1&d=1382396001

attachment.php?attachmentid=176099&stc=1&d=1382396001

attachment.php?attachmentid=176100&stc=1&d=1382396001

attachment.php?attachmentid=176103&stc=1&d=1382396144

attachment.php?attachmentid=176101&stc=1&d=1382396001

attachment.php?attachmentid=176102&stc=1&d=1382396001

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

Why kind of price you looking at for doing this Scott?

Depends what's needing done bud. This particular set is £80 as postage isn't required :)

Plans are to fully strip and refurbish the lens inside and out, not 100% sure on the reflector as yet but it's going to be primed/painted in some fashion :D

Now that I've got a set to weigh etc I'll be able to get an accurate shipping cost. I've put up a wanted ad for a set of decent lights so that I can refurb them and have them ready off the shelf for anyone who can't live without their lights. In this instance I would need to ask for an additional £80 deposit to cover the lights. This will be returned of course when the return lights are received and useable :)

So got started this morning. First of all guardcat was having none of it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176104&stc=1&d=1382446709

When I eventually did manage to grasp them from her claws I got to work on the passenger side. First thing I noticed was that they had been re-sealed with silicone, fun fun fun.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176105&stc=1&d=1382446709

With the silicone finally off the oven was set at a low heat and the lights were toasted till a golden brown before splitting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176106&stc=1&d=1382446709

attachment.php?attachmentid=176107&stc=1&d=1382446709

I masked up the insert ready for prep/paint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176108&stc=1&d=1382446709

I then set about the lens itself with some elbow grease before giving a good run over with the orbital polisher. They came up pretty good (comparison with untouched light).

attachment.php?attachmentid=176109&stc=1&d=1382446709

I then did the same with the second light, a noticed something strange though. The chrome had a run on it lol. Never seen that before, this one clearly slipped under the quality control radar.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176110&stc=1&d=1382446709

Split it all down and masked it up ready for prep/paint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176111&stc=1&d=1382446709

I don't have time to do anymore today so I'll pick up tomorrow. Here is a comparison of the 2 lenses stripped next to each other though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=176112&stc=1&d=1382446709

Lights.jpg

Lights1.jpg

Lights2.jpg

Lights3.jpg

Lights4.jpg

Lights5.jpg

Lights6.jpg

Lights7.jpg

Lights8.jpg

Got in tonight and decided to get some more polishing done. How I did this during it I have no idea.

Danger time might be in order :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=176125&stc=1&d=1382486633

BTW how I managed this I have no idea, my only weapon at the time was a microfibre cloth with some polish lol.

2013-10-22 23.50.12.jpg

Looks great scott :thumbs:

Do you normally use gloss/matt/satin paint on the inserts ?

I've always used satin as it gives a nice sheen without looking OTT like gloss, IMO of course. It's just a good compromise.

Happy to use whatever the customer wants though :)

How come you've decided to leave the crazing on the bottom of the full beam hole?

I've learned the hard way unfortunately. I've taken all the flaking chrome off and left the bits on that are firmly attached. If you don't, and try to take it all off, it ends up peeling the paint at the edge within days. It can't be seen once in the lights though.

I've also tried stripping a whole lens before, this doesn't work for me either as I've always been left with a rubbish finish once the final coat goes on. The plastic of the lens is so soft that I found it impossible to clean properly once removed. A slight key has always worked out best for me :)

not sure if this helps scott, but i have put my inserts in for grit blasting, they turn out very well indeed perfect key for painting

That would be my ideal solution but I don't have access anymore.

Takes you a couple of days per set then? How did you reseal them? I'll likely take this up eventually as the chrome is peeling and mine mist up.

It depends really, circumstances were fortunate this week. I've bought 2 sets of lights so I'm going to refurbish them for an off the shelf solution.