The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R888 Tyre Pressures for Drag Racing

Rich.2211

I'm aware they're not drag tyres by any stretch of the imagination but they do help put the power down in the first couple of gears :)

Going off the above advice I'll give it a try at the normal pressures then maybe try lowering them for the next runs. I'll take a foot pump with me to make sure I can re-inflate lol.

I would be very very wary of lowering the tyre pressures that much on a stiff side walled low profile road legal track tyre. You could damage the side wall construction, plus it might be all but impossible to control if it gets very sideways.

I'm going to leave them at the pressure they're at now then. I don't want to completely ruin them just yet and it will save my leg having to pump them back up :)

As Chris says, don't lower the tyre pressure on a low profile road (radial) tyre

The side wall is too stiff and you will risk damaging it and it won't help traction

It could actually make it worse as the tyre may deform in the middle giving you less contact area.

You can get away with it on drag radials as the side wall is so large and has some give in it.

I'm running 32-33psi on Track when hot. Starting at 26-27 cold approximately. For Drag racing you'll be having problems getting them constantly hot and they do lose a lot of pressure when cooling down at least when comparing hot to cold Pressure :)

I'd try to inflate them to 29psi at the rear and a lot more on the fronts cold. After the burnout(if you are doing one) it should be okay :)

Well I ended up running them at 32 psi cold but could not get any heat into them at all and I wasn't getting much traction. Maybe I should of done a longer burnout?

The answer I think is to buy myself some stock 16"s and fit some proper drag radials for my trips to Santapod.