The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undercar LED's

Guest Zack

Hi,

Could anyone out there give me some help with fitting undercar LED's. I don't think i've got a problem so much with the electrics side of the installation as the where and how to fit them.

Do you really have to drill holes in the floorpan of the car to mount the brackets?. Has anyone had any better ideas, and also how/ where did you mount the back one to give a nice even light distribution. I thought about mounting it on top of the bottom lip of the rear bumper but is this the best place... Any help would be really appreciated, i'm a bit of a numpty where this kind of stuff is involved.

Cheers for any help in advance..!!

:D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been looking at this.

Milhouse (i think) has neons installed so he be able to tell you how he has attached them, but i cant believe you have to drill the floor pan that would be nuts!

As for attaching Rear one, is there no where to attach it to above the rear height of bumper,if not id get some very strong double sided Tape of some sort (not double sided sticky tape ) and attach to inner part of rear bumper, with a peice of string tied round it and tied to peice of body work. So if worse did happen that it came off, it would just dangle until u noticed or u noticed drivers laughing at u.

Originally posted by Zack

Hi,

Could anyone out there give me some help with fitting undercar LED's. I don't think i've got a problem so much with the electrics side of the installation as the where and how to fit them.

Do you really have to drill holes in the floorpan of the car to mount the brackets?. Has anyone had any better ideas, and also how/ where did you mount the back one to give a nice even light distribution. I thought about mounting it on top of the bottom lip of the rear bumper but is this the best place... Any help would be really appreciated, i'm a bit of a numpty where this kind of stuff is involved.

Cheers for any help in advance..!!

:D

Yup - you have to drill holes in the undernearth of the car. I had neons on mine - personally I love neon .. but I had problems with tubes holding position - one even fell off! It was basically a real ball-ache! I was glad I got rid of them.

But if you want them - make sure you mount the tubes so they are not physically visible when you turn them on. What you should see is only a spread of light on the ground. It looks wank if you can see the tube. From the people I've talked to - this has been a problem for people. I had the same problem.

It looked ok - if you stood about 8ft from the car .. any more than that and the tubes could be be visible. Didn't look that great.

Well i've got Veilside skirts on my car so I don't think they will show from the side. I'm going to mount the front one inside my Bomex bumber so the glow will just show through the grill. Can you remeber how the rear one was mounted.? Has anyone tried using mastic to glue the brackets on.. i've not it's out with the drill I guess... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh..!! Maybe if it let in water after I could drill a 2" hole in the floor and install a bath plug to let the water back out. (thats a joke by the way).:baa:

Well I think it looks cool Millhouse. I'd doubt you'd see mine apart from the back. My side skirts and front bumber are only about 3" off th ground. So you'd have to get very low to see the actual light tube. Did you just mount your rear tube to the bottom of the back bumper?.

http://urawa.cool.ne.jp/reds_meeting/supra-neon1.gif

Always fancied the neon look myself, but can't make my mind up on colour.

Do you have a bonnet scoop on your car, because the best example I've seen had a neon glow from inside the engine bay that escaped through the slot in the scoop. Really looked impressive I thought.

I have looked into fitting to my car well started but then started to rain

I found that the clips supplied with mine sloted into the side skirt tightly so no need for screws on the side.

The rear one iam toying with the idea off cuting into the plastic trim under neath and then recovering it with clear purspec!!!

Will let you no if it works

Got my kit on ebay paid £40 for it the quaility looks good not sure how bright its going to be though:(

I got multicolour L.E.D.S. on mine, but i think blue ona black car look the best. I also found that the brackets felt a little cheap, and so i used a combination of cable ties and the brackets. Looks neat, but after 2 months of having them on, one somehow came loose and smashed :( Thankgod christmas is here that's all i say.

Check these out.

Taken with my phone before the front one worked it's way loose.

The ones I bought were also off ebay, 7 colour LED's, and I paid £89 including carriage. Look the same as the ones in Motorman (motorbitz)or whatever it's called.

thats where I thought of hanging my rear one Millhouse, but it does show quite a bit there.. Hmmm.. I can't see any other place though really...

Pray for nice weather tomorrow.. i'm going under..!

What you could do is mount it where milhouse has but fabricate some sort of Metal shield so you cant see the Tube, Make it as long as tube and where you have the drill holes drill the holes in the metal sheet so they match. Spray the metal black so matchs underneath of car.(only black on outside, u can use metal on inside to reflect more light down ;)

It should be in a L shape upside down.

The dot below is neon, L shape is peice of metal, otherbit rear bumper. This way neon as close to floor as possible giving good glow without looking gay!

__ |

. | |

Do you know I actually did think about that, maybe I'll take a trip to B&Q in the morning, they do a nice range in alluminium angle strips. I think this sounds like quite a good solution.

Originally posted by millhouse

No its here, On the bottom of the boot

http://www.millhouse.cc/bbs/photos/millhouse/105.jpg

More photos here :cool:

I think you'll find that the mounting of that neon on yours Millhouse is Illegal. You have to mount them so that you cannot see the actual neon, but only the reflection or the glow. I think the ideal way of explaining how to make neons legal is to mount them so that if your car was positioned over a big hole, you would not see them.

It is illegal to display a light on the front of a vehicle other than the indicators or headlights, and also to display a light on the rear, other than the indicators, rear light, brake lights and reversing lights. This is why neon washer jets are technically illegal to display on your car.

Funnily enough, Just fitted a set of LED's to tdaxgav's car a few days ago

You said you have veilside skirts, what you can do is where they bolt on underneath, unscrew them and screw the clips into them if you know what i mean, so technically its

LED clip,

Skirt,

Car!!

so you don't need to drill into nothing,

As for the back one, we mounted it pretty much the same as millhouses' but i'm sure we couldn't see it from behind the car, I never saw it when I was driving behind him anyway, i got it as far under the bottom of the bumper as it would go.

Mounted the front inside the mouth of his Stillen front bumper, so when its lit, it gives it a big lit up mouth!!

I'll text Gav and see if he has any pics he can post up..

Hope thats of some help!!

Well under the back bumper it is then... sounds like a plan... Weather permitting i'm gonna have a go tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'll post some pictures up when i'm done.