The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Everything is Cheaper in the USA?

TheTurtleshead

Just browsing our American equivalent forum and I spotted something…. Hence why I'm wondering if anyone knows any more than me about sales taxes in the USA, specifically Atlanta?

Reason I ask is that https://www.speedforsale.com/suprapa...itz-m-335.html are selling Whifbitz parts at savings when compared to the UK prices, some seemingly considerable.

I have a friend who could bring any parts purchased in the US back to the UK for me for next to nothing. So weirdly it would make financial sense to purchase parts made in the UK in the USA. Unless the kits are shipped to the USA to order, in which case they could be purchased from a US Company and shipped in the UK?

I was looking at the 500-900hp Turbo Kits, which when exchanged in currency(XE.com), come in at £700 Cheaper than the UK.

~£600 of the difference is VAT in the UK, which is why I'm thinking the difference is some sort of tax? Although when you go to checkout on the SFS website there's no mention of any further taxes.

Anyone who can shed some light on this possibly TAX based conundrum for me will be showered with theoretical haribo!

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

I'm no expert on tax and what you have there seems a little complex but what I would say is that quite a few friends have done serious work on some jap cars recently and all bought from the US and saved a fortune.

Definitely seems the way to go for the bigger more expensive parts.

Guest Roger NE

When you get stuff shipped to the UK, they then add VAT . . . so depends if your mate got caught bringing stuff through Customs.

But even with the VAT, when you go into a motor store over there, most general car parts are about half the price in the USA.

(that could be why UK firms HAVE to sell their stuff cheaper in the USA, just to be competitive!)

My boss picked me up a set of 8 IK22s for £30 last year in Florida.

But small items like that are no problem getting back, its when you are talking about importing them that the whole UK excise thing becomes a nonsene. We import Comms gear in from China and recently I bought ten pieces of a particular bit of kit as a sample and they had a total value (and shown on invoice) of around £150 and we were hit for £120 duty, were were happy to pay this and pleased with the goods so then ordered a full carton of 40 the same units and when they arrived through the same channel we were charged just £80. Questioned it with the forwarding company and was basically told tough! It seems that there is a range of duty on certain products and the whoever sets the charge on the day decides where in the range you will be charged and that's about it. There are various avenues you can go down to try and argue your case but in our case it's not worth it. But what a crazy charging system.

My sons in Florida and is bringing back a pair of Titan cam gears and crank pulley, works out around £200 cheaper than over here even with Florida sales tax. Shouldnt be a problem through customs as long as the value is no more than £390, otherwise have to pay import duty on the total value.

when i did my single turbo, i ordered all my parts from the USA.

saved a fortune ;)!!!

likewise, however when I went single it predated some of the UK kits that are now available. If I were to do it again I would probably go for the kits that my chosen trader recommends and sources for piece of mind.

imi

On the reverse side, I just bought a Koyo Rad off Titanmotorsports ; because it is getting shipped outside the US, why do we still need to pay full retail as though we walked in off the street; should a non-US resident not get a vat and tax rebate?

I end up paying US VAT & duties plus EU VAT and Customs

On the reverse side, I just bought a Koyo Rad off Titanmotorsports ; because it is getting shipped outside the US, why do we still need to pay full retail as though we walked in off the street; should a non-US resident not get a vat and tax rebate?

I end up paying US VAT & duties plus EU VAT and Customs

Yes, you have to pay the State Taxes. Its not like our VAT here.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of interest did your boostlogic kit ever let you down?

Never - I did 40K miles on it without any issues. Why, do others have any issues?

imi